Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000T1R4O/103-4092010-2783823

very very good price.

I've heard the unit is poorly built and support is non-existant.

BUT - you can reload its o/s with freeware (rockbox, I think) and it DOES record directly to mp3 AND has no 'digital rights mgmt' AND acts like a regular usb 2.0 hard drive.

its tempting. anyone try one?

·
Registered
334 Posts
i had the 40 gb archos that did MP3s and photos and all that. and i didn't like it cause it was really hard to use. it was not very user friendly, in my opinion.

i ended up with the RCA lyco ( something like that ) and it stores a ton of music i have all 700 of my cd's on it and it is about 3/4 full, but some times it takes over a minute to process and play the song you chose, and it freezes up a lot. i don't recommend that one either.

not that this helps you with your dicision on the one you're looking at just what i have experinced :crazy:

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very very few RECORD. from analog. and have a mic-in.

its a cool feature. I just wonder how the thing holds up. there is a good hacker community on those boxes (hardware hacks abound! lotsa software, too). but everyone says they're a POS in terms of build quality.

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
It's funny how every Archos player I have ever seen on display has been non-functioning because of software problems (starts to an error screen). Draw your own conclusions.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
otoh, I'm handy with electronics, and often there's just a loose connection inside. I've read stuff about units being fixed by just looking around inside and 'tending to what needs it' ;)

but for the faint of heart, it sounds like a bad decision to buy this.

its just for a hacker, they DO have an opensource toolkit where you can really replace the factory firmware with an EXTENSIBLE one. that sounds VERY cool to me! and the freeware fixes so many of the factory firmware bugs.

the cult following, as it seems, is almost enough to keep them going ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts