Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2004 2.8 V6 B5.5, now a 2012 CC GT
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a couple of versions but unsure which one is the same as mine...I replaced the CV boots and seem to recall seeing the bearing in a carrier with four bolts. Everything i see on the forum indicates that i will have to get the press out/in version.

Maybe i've been swayed by hope?! was there a break in for the 4 bolt carrier version?

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Reactions: 13ish

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, just checking before i get lost in the internet! Thanks for getting back to me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Careful, there might be a difference. I think there's also a 75mm bearing.

Girl friend has a 2002 Passat with auto, her son had a 2001 Passat with manual. The axles were different and the spline running through the hub was a larger diameter on the 5.5.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Careful, there might be a difference. I think there's also a 75mm bearing.
The 75mm bearing is for 4motion cars with replaceable bearing REAR ONLY.

The front is still 82mm even on 4motion.

·
Registered
27,425 Posts
The B5 1.8T manuals used a smaller bearing up until at least 2001, I have them in the donor car in my garage. The V6 as far as I know, always used the larger bearings as did the 1.8T Tip from at least 2000 onward. I think the 1.8T in the 98-99 may have used the smaller bearings, but I am not certain.

Reactions: JayTheSnork

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So i ahve the 82mm bearings. Got the front apart but could not get the two control arms to seperate from the knuckle. I tried for hours which included an age to restore the threads :-( eventually managed to put it all back together enough to use the car again.

In summary, the bearings are still in the car! I have no idea how to get the two lower control arms disconnected for the next time, Does anyone have any tips?

The upper control arm has split, so maybe get a set of control arms as well?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, searching for parts - "For vehicles with VIN from 3B-3-072001 only, split is in the 2003 model year" how do i decode my VIN to match this?

I have XXXXX63X74X150927 (X are letters)

Anyone help with this please?

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
The B5 1.8T manuals used a smaller bearing up until at least 2001, I have them in the donor car in my garage. The V6 as far as I know, always used the larger bearings as did the 1.8T Tip from at least 2000 onward. I think the 1.8T in the 98-99 may have used the smaller bearings, but I am not certain.
Not doubting you Paul, but then if that's the case the info on the FCP and ECS websites is inaccurate.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
So i ahve the 82mm bearings. Got the front apart but could not get the two control arms to seperate from the knuckle. I tried for hours which included an age to restore the threads :-( eventually managed to put it all back together enough to use the car again.

In summary, the bearings are still in the car! I have no idea how to get the two lower control arms disconnected for the next time, Does anyone have any tips?

The upper control arm has split, so maybe get a set of control arms as well?
Hitting the lower control arm right on the joint area should "pop" it loose. It make take a few seriously hard wraps on it with a fairly big hammer.
A little advice:
Don't remove any thing on the front suspension before trying to get the lower control arms off. You want the steering / bearing knuckle as rigid as possible, so when you hit the lower control arm(s) with a hammer all of the energy from the impact will go right to the joint to help it get knocked loose.

·
Registered
27,425 Posts
Not doubting you Paul, but then if that's the case the info on the FCP and ECS websites is inaccurate.
If the bearings were all the same size, then the hub's internal opening must be the difference. I know the axle splines are much smaller on the B5 1.8T manual and I think they were on the 98-99 Tips as well. If that is the case, then maybe only the wheel hubs are different?

·
Registered
27,425 Posts
Instead of hitting the control arms at the joints, hit the hub carrier where the control arm goes into it. That way there is no risk of damage to the control arm. With 2-3 hits of a mini sledge, they should pop right out. I keep the nut on the last threads to stop the rear arm from dropping onto to me when it breaks loose.

For the vin split, it should be the last 6 digits, so you are above the 072001 and should have the metal inserts in the hub carrier for the lower control arms.

·
Registered
27,425 Posts
They should work, but they are not the best quality. They would be fine for a few years and maybe 50K. I would also confirm that you have the insert type lower control arms. They should be visible with the nut removed from the ball joint.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks PZ, i'll take a look. That'll sort the control arms at the same time as the bearings - Now i got a 12 ton press from Harbour Freight i'd better use it!

I should trust the VIN split really...

@PZ, when you say 'insert type' lower control arms, is there an insert in the steering knuckle at the ball joint? The ECS guy confirmed my VIN number for that kit, so i should be good?

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
I'm not PZ but...
Yes, in the steering knuckle there is an insert pressed into it where the lower control arm attaches. This insert is only for the front lower control arm (straight arm that shock mounts to).
The rear lower control arms are the same for all B5 & B5.5's.

·
Registered
27,425 Posts
The insert will often come out attached to the control arm. Do not throw it away!

Reactions: JayTheSnork

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Er, need a bit of (further) advice. The arms turned up. Do i transfer the insert to the new arm? I assume that is the insert i can see in the old arm?

New V's Old
IMG_20171112_125303.jpg IMG_20171028_201115.jpg

·
Registered
27,425 Posts
If the insert comes out, I just put it back in the hub carrier, then install the new arm. Getting the insert off of the old arm may require a pickle fork and some work.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts