Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After poking around, I have found plenty of pro-chip discussions. Anyone have any horror stories from chipping their 1.8T? I'm on the fence about doing it to my '04 and would like any input that is avaialbe from both sides.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Well, lessee... there was the Chip that Ate New York.

And then there was, uh, Chips of the Living Dead...

And then there was - what was it?!?!? Oh, yeah - the Texas Chipsaw Massacre...

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
48 hours after I got chipped with the GIAC ECU & GIAC Tip Chip my car got thorwn into LIMP Mode. Came to find out after the saulder connection on the Tip Chip came loose.

Scared the crap out of me, I thought I need a whole new tranny

Rich :)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Rusty said:
Well, lessee... there was the Chip that Ate New York.

And then there was, uh, Chips of the Living Dead...

And then there was - what was it?!?!? Oh, yeah - the Texas Chipsaw Massacre...
Funny man you are, Rusty!

·
Registered
427 Posts
when i first got my 1.1 bar wett my car didn't move. that was all due to the wrong programming. Sent it back and got it right the second time around. no damage, just a delay.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I got one for you. I had a 98 tip with a GIAC chip. It got totalled in a hurricane, which is not relevant to this story. I replaced it with an 01 tip. I have been waiting for four months to get it chipped. It's been horrible waiting.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
when I got my chip installed, I revved my engine till redline, but the car could not take that much torque and horsepower so the engine broke loose and jumped out of the hood leaving a big hole, then it flew 200ft and landed on my neighbors yard killing their dog and rupturing the gas pipe... and my 980 degree hot turbo set the whole thing on fire. I was standing in total shock as I watched all the houses in my neighborhood exploding one by one in a chain reaction. the whole event left 1 dead (neighbors dog) and 29 injured (other neighbors cats) :( and now I'm $28,000,000 in debt

thanks GIAC :thumbdown

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
My chip horror story:
The day after I was chipped, I got busted going triple-digit speeds and landed myself in jail for a night -- with angry black people and a jewish lawyer named Michael who was picked-up with an underage prostitute and lotsa crack. Wait, that's actually a pretty funny story. Nevermind.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
JamesBondage said:
My chip horror story:
The day after I was chipped, I got busted going triple-digit speeds and landed myself in jail for a night -- with angry black people and a jewish lawyer named Michael who was picked-up with an underage prostitute and lotsa crack. Wait, that's actually a pretty funny story. Nevermind.
I hurt my abdominal hernia reading this. Definitely top 10 material. I laughed just as hard that it took only 2 minutes for someone to whack your knuckles for the descriptive nature of your post. I guess there was no problem with "underage" prostitute, although I imagine children could easily be offended by that statement.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,312 Posts
How about getting the APR chip I've been waiting for, then finding out I have a boost leak that can't be located, but the tech showing me on the laptop what my car WOULD be doing if it didn't have a leak. Horrible to know i had a chip, see what it does, but not be able to do it....took me friggin' three weeks to find the damn leak too.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
^^ you should have just submerged the engine bay in soapy water... you would have found it in 3 minutes, or would you .... :p

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Gregor56 said:
OT but why specify "angry Black people, and Jewish lawyer? Why not just angry people and lawyer?
true is true, no racial/ethnic overtones if they were where he was... i say, tell it like it is, PC is not relevant in a true story, especially if he's not assuming they were black or jewish or mad or whatever...

a.s.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,312 Posts
YetAnother20V said:
^^ you should have just submerged the engine bay in soapy water... you would have found it in 3 minutes, or would you .... :p
Yeah...tried the soapy water thing, had the NGPracing techs check it for 30 min. and pressure test it...still couldn't find it. Then, miraculously weeks later, it gets big enough to find it. Gotta love small, cramped engine compartments.:thumbdown:

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
swcrow17 said:
Yeah...tried the soapy water thing, had the NGPracing techs check it for 30 min. and pressure test it...still couldn't find it. Then, miraculously weeks later, it gets big enough to find it. Gotta love small, cramped engine compartments.:thumbdown:
so when getting chipped, besides replacing dv, what other precautionary measures can i take so i don't have to write up a horror story myself? replacing clamps? do i need to replace vacuum lines?

i have an 04 gls btw.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,312 Posts
You have new lines, so old or brittle lines won't be an issue. Get a DV of your choice and you should be good.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts