Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UNPAINTED- KAMIE grille on black B5.5???

Anyone know hwo it looks if you put a unpainted KAMEI GRILLE on a black B5.5/.... doesnt it come in black- anyways..??? i know its unpainted but.. its cost alot to paint it doesnt it??????????/ any help please...

·
Registered
506 Posts
DITY...Its black, how hard is it to match black? Wet sand it...primer...paint...clear coat. I think it's that easy :???: :lol: :???:

If all fails sand and repaint again...and again..and again...til...TADA..Sweet! :thumbup:

·
Registered
469 Posts
I am there with you Elee, strapped for cash that is. I just got some knock-off kamei lids and I am currently rolling unpainted. I am also planning on a kamei grill, but will probably have both the grill and lids painted at that time. The lids don't look that bad unpainted right now, until you are about 1 foot away. Edit for pic

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well I have a FK badgeless grill on my ride...I love the super clean look...

no chrome for me 8)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a black B5.5 and ran my Kamei unpainted for a while. Its OK, but had it painted for $100.00 @ a local paint shop and it looks a bit richer. I think it's a matter of personal taste- the unpainted plastic does match the lower intakes, but....... my vote is to paint- either through a shop or yourself.

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
TX-B5.5 said:
Yep mine was unpainted for awhile and I would just put the vinyl and rubber dressing on it like everyday so it didn't look like complete shit :p Had mine painted for 60 bucks.
I was waiting for you to chime in on the unpainted Kamei :lol:
Id get it painted, if you cant get it painted right away then dont install it untill you have enough money to get it done. If your going to do it, do it right :lol: :lol:

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
I think you will find if you paint it yourself from a rattle can it will chip very easily .. I made/Painted my own eye lids / brows and even hard shelled bugs will chip them. I did the sanding .. prep / prime then 4 coats.. still chips . Mind you with black plastic you won't notice the chips that much.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Maybe the 5.5 is different...the grill is larger...but the vast majority of badgeless grills I've ever seen on VWs have been unpainted. And of course the stock grills on pre-chrome cars are, except for the chrome VW bade, similarly unpainted.

Given the way rocks have made the front of my hood look like the surface of the moon (despite using a bra for about 1/3 of my miles), the only thing I'd think of painting on the front of this car would be to (re-)paint the hood. Unless you keep your car in a museum, I see lots of painting and repainting that grill in your future.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.