Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a sludged up '01 1.8T (65k) and have ordered AutoRx. Anyone have success stories about this stuff? Has anyone gone on to rack up well over 100k miles after using this product (I have no idea how long it has been on the market). I just hope after completing the sludge cleaning proceedures I can enjoy this car for many miles. (Sorry if this thread has been beat to death here, I'm new here)
TIA

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ilikemypassat.
I have seen the testimonials on the AutoRx site, but I was wondering if anyone here had success with that product. Anyone,,,,,,,???
Maybe everyone here didn't make the mistake of running the wrong oil in that engine.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Try using the search function. But then again, you couldn't follow the forum rules when entering your user info (like your location for instance) so I guess reading the stick posts in the newbie forum was too hard as well.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I am in my second rinse cycle. My oil pressure light started blinking even though I had enough oil. When I looked through my oil filler cap I could see hard black sludge everywhere. At the end of my first cleaning cycle I looked through the filler hole and the sludge was now foamy and soft looking. My oil light hasn't come on since. I will do three cycles just to be sure. I also notice that using dino oil instead of Mobil 1 seems to work better when used on the cleaning cycle also.

My car was purchased used and the guy had been using regular dino oil and extended oil changes.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Regular oil is recommended to be used with the cleaning and rinse cycles for AutoRx according to the application istructions. I'm in the process of using AutoRx on both my '99 Passat and my wife's '98 so I can convert over to synthetic after cleaning out the gunk. I just started the first cleaning cycle on both cars this past Friday so I'll see how it goes. My plan is to go through two cleaning and rinse cycles on both cars, although my '99 may not need it as badly as the '98 (65k vs. 105k miles).

I may pull the valve cover on the '98 when I'm done to see what it looks like and possibly go with a third cycle, if required, although the AutoRx website doesn't say that more than two cycles are needed. They do recommend a maintenance application with regular oil changes. I think it's on the order of about two ounces of AutoRx per oil change, but I'm not sure if this applies when using synthetics. I've got several months to go before I'll be switching over so I've got time to read up on it a bit more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mitchyz250f
I spoke with Frank from AutoRx the other day and he said for me to also use the dino oil during the treatment, my seals are leaking, too. He also recommended that I continue to run dino after the treatment proceedure, with some (3oz) ARx added. That's where I'm not too sure. Hence, I was wondering whats happening 100k miles later. I have read for a couple of hours after searching "oil sludge" , but most of the info I found was people like you in the middle of a treatment or investigating about using it. I plan on following Frank's instruction to a "T", but it seems like most people go with synthetic oil when they have it clean.

q_s I don't think that I am breaking any forum rules as I did enter correct info and I also did a search, but did not find an answer to the specific question I asked. I thought that was the purpose of the forum as stated in the rules. I would think that Admin. would let me know if I had overlooked something or incorrectly filled out my user info. Anyways, thanks for the warm welcome. BH

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,525 Posts
Frank Miller is a great guy, and I honestly believe Auto-RX is a good product. (I am currently in the first Auto-RX cleaning cycle with the Audi A4 2.8. I'll report the results of my oil filter autopsy when I start the second phase of the treatment, about 700 miles from now.) However, Frank appears to be very old-school in his attitudes toward synthetic oil, and this is where he and I differ pretty serverely. Dino is probably fine in my Dodge 2.4L DOHC and Audi A4 V6, but the 1.8T has been getting nothing but 502.00 synthetic oil since the infamous sludge letter came out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx Capt Video and John_E
It sounded like Frank really knows his stuff and I hope mine gets here tomorow (can't wait to get started). I guess I should call him tomorow and find out if it is OK to take a 1000 mile trip while doing the treatment. My car has always had dino oil ( 65k ) change at 5000 mile intervals. I guess I'm lucky it is still running. The oil light hasn't come on yet ( I've only had it a week now) and the lifters rattled once after hard driving. This is my forth Passat kombi (the last one was a '95 and my ex-wife is still driving it regularly over 100mph with over 300k km on the clock) and I hope I can get as good of service from this one as I have from the others. Of coarse, none of the others were 1.8 Ts, but they were very good, reliable cars.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Frank is a great guy and auto-rx is a great product! I was having noticible consumption with my V6 and auto-rx greatly slowed down that consumption rate, but I still continued to have some leaks. Then I discovered that my breather hoses/pcv system was pretty clogged up and just replaced that a couple days ago, hoping this stops the leaks completely. The old breather hose was so brittle that it ended up breaking into 4 pieces before I got the whole thing out of the car! Check the info forum for help with the pcv system in your car.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Use the search again. There are a ton of testimonials answering your exact question.

·
Registered
111 Posts
John_E said:
Frank Miller is a great guy, and I honestly believe Auto-RX is a good product. (I am currently in the first Auto-RX cleaning cycle with the Audi A4 2.8. I'll report the results of my oil filter autopsy when I start the second phase of the treatment, about 700 miles from now.) However, Frank appears to be very old-school in his attitudes toward synthetic oil, and this is where he and I differ pretty serverely. Dino is probably fine in my Dodge 2.4L DOHC and Audi A4 V6, but the 1.8T has been getting nothing but 502.00 synthetic oil since the infamous sludge letter came out.[/QUOTE

John E.

This is the reason it is recommended that you use a non synthetic oil until you have completed the rinse phase after that you can use the oil of your choice.

"Synthetic-Semi-Synthetic Oil" contains synthetic esters they polarize oil to the metal. While that is good in normal operation, you don't want sludge polarized on the metal you just cleaned with Auto-Rx. That is why we ask you to rinse with a non synthetic oil there is no loss of any lubrication performance over the 2000 miles needed for rinse.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Schleswiger said:
Thanx Capt Video and John_E
It sounded like Frank really knows his stuff and I hope mine gets here tomorow (can't wait to get started). I guess I should call him tomorow and find out if it is OK to take a 1000 mile trip while doing the treatment. My car has always had dino oil ( 65k ) change at 5000 mile intervals. I guess I'm lucky it is still running. The oil light hasn't come on yet ( I've only had it a week now) and the lifters rattled once after hard driving. This is my forth Passat kombi (the last one was a '95 and my ex-wife is still driving it regularly over 100mph with over 300k km on the clock) and I hope I can get as good of service from this one as I have from the others. Of coarse, none of the others were 1.8 Ts, but they were very good, reliable cars.
Based on my exhaustive research, it is perfectly OK to take a long trip during either ARX cycle, clean or rinse. Some users were concerned that they might go several hundred miles over the recommended distance, but the responses I've seen say that's OK. IOW, you could go 2000 miles on a clean and 3000 on a rinse and not hurt anything - just don't err on the low side. Be sure to get at least 1500 miles on the clean, and 2000 on the rinse. Time is unimportant - but mileage is crucial.

I just finished my rinse cycle last week. Went about 1550m on the clean, and 2100 on the rinse. Entire process (both clean and rinse) took 5 months. Wish I could have thrown a long trip in there to speed it up, so you are lucky in that respect. I'm now using Syntec 5W40 in my 1.8T, and it sounds and runs great. Only have 62K miles, looking forward to many more.

BTW, had valve cover gasket and cam seals replaced (under warranty thank GOD) yesterday. I asked tech how it looked with the valve cover off, and he said no problems - just a little varnish which I understand is quite normal. I added 4 ounces of LC to the Syntec to see how that handles the varnish.

Good Luck with yours - I think you'll be pleased. But you must be patient if you don't drive a lot (like me). ARX works, but it is not a quick fix for low mileage drivers - it takes time. I pity the poor guys that need to do 2 cycles and don't drive much - that could take almost a year in some cases. But again, I think it is worth the wait.

ARX heavys - let me know if I've misstated anything. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I didn't have any particular problem (that I knew of, anyway) but figured I'd try it since the car had 88K. I opened up the rinse stage filter, and man, the oil in there was like tar. Afterward, the engine I can see through the oil filler hole was noticeably cleaner, it looked spotless. Also, I don't think it was my imagination, but the engine seemed to run more smoothly afterwards. You know how when most engines idle, you can feel slight misses and stumbles here and there through the steering wheel or floorboards? After the ARX it was the most evenly-firing idle I've ever noticed. I didn't notice it running that smoothly before the treatment. I could sit there for 5 or 10 minutes and not feel the slightest irregularity in the engine vibration through the steering wheel. Now at 106K, it's still pretty smooth, but there is "occasional irregularity."

ARX basically just a very mild, slow-acting soap, made from sheep.

·
Registered
28,510 Posts
RechtsFahren said:
ARX basically just a very mild, slow-acting soap, made from sheep.
I thought it was made FOR sheep?

I am about to run a 2nd cycle on my V6. I bought the car with 70K and it seemed somewhat neglected.

·
Registered
111 Posts
blmqzjc said:
Based on my exhaustive research, it is perfectly OK to take a long trip during either ARX cycle, clean or rinse. Some users were concerned that they might go several hundred miles over the recommended distance, but the responses I've seen say that's OK. IOW, you could go 2000 miles on a clean and 3000 on a rinse and not hurt anything - just don't err on the low side. Be sure to get at least 1500 miles on the clean, and 2000 on the rinse. Time is unimportant - but mileage is crucial.

I just finished my rinse cycle last week. Went about 1550m on the clean, and 2100 on the rinse. Entire process (both clean and rinse) took 5 months. Wish I could have thrown a long trip in there to speed it up, so you are lucky in that respect. I'm now using Syntec 5W40 in my 1.8T, and it sounds and runs great. Only have 62K miles, looking forward to many more.

BTW, had valve cover gasket and cam seals replaced (under warranty thank GOD) yesterday. I asked tech how it looked with the valve cover off, and he said no problems - just a little varnish which I understand is quite normal. I added 4 ounces of LC to the Syntec to see how that handles the varnish.

Good Luck with yours - I think you'll be pleased. But you must be patient if you don't drive a lot (like me). ARX works, but it is not a quick fix for low mileage drivers - it takes time. I pity the poor guys that need to do 2 cycles and don't drive much - that could take almost a year in some cases. But again, I think it is worth the wait.

ARX heavys - let me know if I've misstated anything. Thanks.
blmqzjc,

The extra miles you have driven over the cleaning and rinse phase is ok. I would not exceed the recommended 2000 miles. When I took my valve covers off the valves had some varnish on them but that is normal let us know if the LC takes the varnish off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What is LC??

Thanks Guys for the replies.

I am still (after 1200 miles on the 1st AutoRx cleaning phase) getting a sound at warm idle like a lifter tapping, probably the cam chain adjuster,,??? Will the ARx help with that or will that require repairs ? Or is it too early to tell?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Schleswiger said:
What is LC??

Thanks Guys for the replies.

I am still (after 1200 miles on the 1st AutoRx cleaning phase) getting a sound at warm idle like a lifter tapping, probably the cam chain adjuster,,??? Will the ARx help with that or will that require repairs ? Or is it too early to tell?
Schleswiger,

Strange sounds-blinking guages all telling you your engine was full of contaminants and Auto-Rx has cleaned off these areas and oil for the first time is lubricating them.These will go away after your done rinse cycle. They do not signify problems. wait until uou have compleated your cleaning and rinse phase

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Wouldn't the best testimonial be no problems?
That said, did mine a year ago and no problems so far.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts