Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I just put my Audi 17inch sport wheels on my Passat. What a difference!

When I took off the stock wheels, it looked like the wheel bolts had some sort of anti sieze compound on them.

Should I put some anti sieze on them before re installing them? The Passat owners manual didnt say anything about it.

Plus, do the wheel bolt covers just snap on, or is there some sort of adhesive to use?

thanks,
Billrk

·
Registered
411 Posts
I usually put a tiny bit of anti-seize on the lug bolts, and a bit more on the interface between the bolt and the wheel. I emphasize tiny - don't use too much! I've had the same 1oz tube of anti-seize for 7 or 8 years now, and there's still plenty left. It doesn't seem to hurt anything to do this, and the lugs always come off easily. Oh, and be sure to use the correct torque.

·
Registered
66 Posts
anti-sieze is very helpful if the metals are disimiliar
such as steel and aluminum
i use it on the concentric spacer rings (aluminum)
because they stick very well to the steel and are hard to get
off without a pry bar

·
Registered
87 Posts
The problem with antiseize on lug bolts is that the antiseize lubricates and thus reduces the torque required to properly tighten the bolts. The thing is, we don't know how much the torque spec is lowered. It depends on the type of metal, the finish on the threads, etc.

Ken

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just had to have my stock bolt "removed" professionally by our local tire dealer and buy an new wheel bolt. Of course it was the locking one. $26 at the dealer for a new one.

I put anti seize on all the rest. Here in MI with the salt and all its a good practice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
walleyeman57
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing