Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the true difference between the two? (other than one reduces the roll?) What's the best to use if I'm interested in reducing the roll/sway (what's considered roll and sway anyways? same?) when turning at around 35-45 MPH?
I had a BMW 330Ci before and I noticed a visible flat piece of bar that goes underneath of the rear axle, what is that piece?
Thanks.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Anti-roll bars and sway/anti-sway bars are synonymous. The best technical term is anti-roll, but it's sure a lot easier to say "sway".

·
Registered
254 Posts
If you want a very effective, cheap ($100) rear anti-roll bar that won't ever wear out (no moving parts), go for the O-Bar. I have one on my 99 Passat and 90 Coupe as well as the B3 Passat VR6 I no longer own. No moving parts to break.. but the install is a pain because you have to drill 8 3/8" holes in the rear axle beam.. and that stuff is tough!

The photo on their site is actually of the install in my B5:

http://www.o-bars.com/

·
Registered
254 Posts
You pretty much install it yourself. If you have a local shop you trust your VW with, they might do it as well. All you need is a nice (non-cordless, or REALLY nice cordless) drill, a few 3/8" hardened steel drill bits, a center punch and some open-end wrenches to install it. The biggest pain in the arse is drilling those holes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts