Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Challenge stateside with the short antennas is FM reception strength (AM... Forget about it, I lost it all but never really listened to it). I didn't mind losing a radio station here and there because I could find something else tolerable to listen to on another station that happened to have a better signal strength at the time. However, that being said, my passengers (read: family) are not as tolerable of various music genre's and being the good husband/dad I have gone back to the OEM antenna for a while. In this case, function has won out over form.

I would love to replace AM/FM with satellite radio or even an MP3 player. Seems like 80% of the time I am stuck listening to commercials or some morning radio personality. :mad:

·
Registered
712 Posts
I had to replace mine, only because the rubber part on the bottom cracked and wasn't looking good at all. I did a lot of research, and knowing that I could get something that would look better on my car for the same price as an oem, wasn't really hard taking my pic. The question was functionality. Would the antenna be just as good as the original or not?! Well, I've never seen a forum about it. So I procrastinated till I asked enough people (I would notice everybodys antenna on their cars, and than go up to them and ask them how they worked!) about it, most people answered that it worked just as good. So I made up my mind, and went shopping again. Initially, I wanted a black one, since my b5 is burgandy and I think it would stand out a little too much a chrome antenna on it. That's when I stumbled upon fknorthamerica.com . I bought mine a week before Christmas, and it';s made of billet aluminum and it's red, which red on aluminum looks very close to burgandy, and not only I think it looks awsome on my car, but it does work just as good as the original factory one :thumbup: !!!. Anyways, fk makes them also in blue, and I tell you, if your car is navy blue, it will look great on it!

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
I took the cheap way out on this mod and my radio still works :thumbup: although I always listen to cd's anyway. I just clipped the long part of the oem antenna off and dipped the top in liquid electrical tape.

Nick

·
Registered
712 Posts
redb5sdca said:
I took the cheap way out on this mod and my radio still works :thumbup: although I always listen to cd's anyway. I just clipped the long part of the oem antenna off and dipped the top in liquid electrical tape.

Nick
Nice car (Mine is the same color :thumbup: One little thing though, I think where you were parking wasn't cool at all, unless you had dropped the handicap permit off of your mirror :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
I take crap for that everytime, it was on a saturday the sherwin williams was closed. Handicap people don't sit at sherwin williams parking lot for kicks :weirdo:
I don't make it a habit.

Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
i put the aluminum M5 shorty antenna and i've not lost the reception at all :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts