Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
:LOL:

I remember much discussion about that plug. Back in the day there were a lot of theories as to what that plug was for. I don't think it was ever really confirmed.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
VAGguy started this thread. Pictures are long gone but the way it's explained sounds as if it's one in the same

WTF is this thing?

There were a few threads that I can remember. Some of them loaded with some pretty far out ideas. Funny when reading though.
I'll see if I can find it later.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,746 Posts
So far as I'm aware that is for a heated windshield that was never offered in the US.
It isn't for that. I pulled the entire harness out of a junkyard car yesterday. The part number is not the one used for the heated windscreen and they look totally different.

3B1 971 271 N is the heated windscreen harness below. It has extra plugs and relay socket for the windscreen.

3B1 971 271 M is the one in question. I stripped the black cover off the wire bundle to trace the wire from that extra plug. The two wires gr/ge and br splice into the same wires for the brake fluid level sensor.

I also updated my original thread from 2008 🙂

Reactions: AndreasPassat

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
It isn't for that. I pulled the entire harness out of a junkyard car yesterday. The part number is not the one used for the heated windscreen and they look totally different.

3B1 971 271 N is the heated windscreen harness below. It has extra plugs and relay socket for the windscreen.
View attachment 101605

3B1 971 271 M is the one in question. I stripped the black cover off the wire bundle to trace the wire from that extra plug. The two wires gr/ge and br splice into the same wires for the brake fluid level sensor.
View attachment 101606
View attachment 101608

I also updated my original thread from 2008 🙂
What did I originally say? Hmm I can quite remember now.. I wonder what it was??

·
I wish I wasn't witless
2,261 Posts
No shite, that’s surprising. Why would they have it there to begin with? The car already has the sensors in place....just weird. Then again, VW stands for Varies Widely.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,746 Posts
What did I originally say? Hmm I can quite remember now.. I wonder what it was??
Well, you win the grand prize! 100 internet points to use as you see fit. Seriously, the answer just sounded so mundane, it was hard to accept.

Well, this begs for a more detailed answer.

What extra brake thing, though? It isn't listed ANYWHERE in any parts listings that I can see.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well, you win the grand prize! 100 internet points to use as you see fit. Seriously, the answer just sounded so mundane, it was hard to accept.

Well, this begs for a more detailed answer.

What extra brake thing, though? It isn't listed ANYWHERE in any parts listings tha ti can see.
🤓 lolol I’m contacting the Emden plant where the car was built. Someone there should know.

Reactions: VAGguy
21 - 29 of 29 Posts