Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember this?

VW is very secretive with information when it comes to the wiring harness. They won't give the dealer any info unless we have the car here hooked up to the internet with them. It has a dummy plug on the end, so it's for an option that your car does not have; it seems it is for cars in Germany only, for the brake reservoir sensor, that they need in Europe.

So there you have it.

Solved.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,747 Posts
Well, what kind of sensor? The brake reservoir already has a sensor (fluid level), as you can see in the pic.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point... I'll ask!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I thought that was for a solar battery tender that was put on the cars when they crossed the ocean.....

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,747 Posts
A possibility but see below. I thought most would be inside the ships. RoRos.

I just checked mine. The plug is blunt cut with wires in 2 of the 3 spaces.
0v key off
10.4v key turned to run position
12.8v with engine running

This is in with the main power wire jacket that leads into the vehicle interior next to the ECU box at the water box firewall.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I just figured it was another device so BIG BROTHER knew where I was at all times. :whistle:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I know on the MB M-class from Tuscaloosa they added a cable for supplemental charging for the overseas-bound vehicles, but I think it was reusable. They would collect them at the unloading port and send back. VW method may be a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
27,581 Posts
VW wiring harnesses are vehicle specific. If it's not needed on the car, the wiring and fuses are not there. It would have been cheaper to make them all the same and simply leave the plugs unused, but that is not how they operated at the time the B5/5.5 Passat was made. The only thing I have seen them keep by not use was the plugged coolant pipe under the manifold on the 1.8T.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok - more of an update - still is brake sensor related, but more refined. Stop - Start engine control required by law in Germany/Europe. So it's related to 'brake sensor' but not exactly.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,747 Posts
We are talking about the B5.5, right? There was not (to my knowledge) ever a start/stop feature in this gen Passat. don't think even the B6 had it at any point.

Reactions: jjpark

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Then I have to find out what my mechanic is smoking and ask him to share... your comment makes total sense to me.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think the tech was just trying to get rid of me, giving me those answers. No curiosity. A shame, but typical

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Yah, I've cussed out Hans many times while trying to reach some bolt buried deep inside some inaccessible area. He must really be the source of much frustration by VW owners the world over.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Someone in the UK said it might have been the plug for the heated windshield option that I don't think was an option in the US

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey - what if this is for a battery warming blanket? I see one in an old service manual... Might it hook up here?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts