Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have checked out other "timing belt" topics but couldnt get a definite answer. I have a 2001.5 v6, I know that the belt need to be checked out at 60k service. If I want to change it now, should I take it back to a dealer or independent? Any other thing I should take care at the same time? Thanks in advance. :???:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 99 V6 and the tensioner broke at 68K and did major damage. Luckily I am the original owner so it was covered under the 100K powertrtain warranty. I've been without my car for 2 weeks though :mad: I'm supposed to pick it up tomorrow.

If you aren't the original owner I would suggest getting it changed post-haste. While you're at it have them change the tensioner and water pump too.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
The V6 motor has a sticker under the hood that specifies the interval for change at 75K miles (or for our friends north of the border 120K km). Most failures are attributed to the tensioner failing causing the belt to slip or break.

While getting your timing belt changed it is recommended to get the water pump changed since it requires the same labor and part removal to access. Should only add another $100-150 to your bill.

Dealer vs Indy wrench turner? If you have a good indy that works on VW and Audi's with a good price go for it. Otherwise, your dealer will be happy to take your money. Call around to a few dealers in your area and check prices as they will vary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
max8176
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing