Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i looked at this page to do the mod to my 99 passat 1.8 using a USB cable. I understand the other ways to do this... but wanted use this as i only have a USB cable. when i go into VCDS i go to the 46-Cent. Conv. then go to adapt and go to channel 62, hit read... and I get an error... also tried coding but it doesn't actually save. Is the lack of channel 62 a difference from Audi to VW or is it the fact that i am having other issues with my CCM, or my version of VCDS and what cable I have? any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
It's a matter of the older B5 Passats are incapable of being programmed like the newer B5.5s to have this feature. That's what I understand. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, because I would have done it already if it was possible...

The supplement for a lack of computer hardware to pull it off is the Alientech Window Controller which is hard wired at the driver's door window circuit. Pretty sure it ties into OE wiring that controls the position of the key in the door lock and signals the windows to roll down that way.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
vbora you are mostly correct. but its complicated.

You can do it on a B5. but you will need to use the vds-pro software (free dos application) which will only work with a vag-com cable with a serial (not usb) interface and obviously some means of booting to a dos instance. the vds pro website will tell you what values you need to change for your specific CCM version. the B5s came with one of several different CCMs and each one uses different memory addresses for these settings.

for a B5.5 you can use vds-pro (with serial cable only) or another free app (which runs on windows) that works with USB cables and does this automatically. I haven't looked too deeply but my guess is that they standardized the memory addresses on all b5.5 CCMs or they only used a single CCM version. the windows app that works with USB cables will supposedly support B5 CCMs in the upcoming paid release, but they've been saying that since the last time I looked into this a year ago.

if and when I get a hold of a serial cable I'd be willing to pass it around to anyone else with a B5 who is interested.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.