Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from Indiana, I went to Wett to get my car chipped. Everything went great. I was a little wary at first because it was just a regular house. But, then the guy started socketing, and he was a pro at it. I definately felt the power increase afterwards, and it's a plus to be able to put my stock one in if I need to.

A couple of negatives, I asked Kelly how much it would be over the phone. She said $295 or whatever. Everything was in progress and she forgot to tell me about the installation fee that was a little pricey. She also said she was running low on a part, so she'd send me my stock chip in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I assume the $25 fee is for pulling and reinstalling your ECU, rather than socketing and installing the chip? If you had pulled it yourself and shipped it, you would have gotten the $295 deal? And you would have paid one way shipping? Seems to me that $25 is pretty fair price for the service you received.

FWIW, when I got mine, Kelly was also short on parts, but I got my stock chip back in relatively short order, so you should not have concerns on that issue.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Ripple said:
$25 is fair.. Most shops are $70/hour and you paid $25 for just under half an hour.. I would love a $50/hour shop!
:thumbup:

Yes I also get $25 for ECU pull/reinstall ($325 for chip + $25 ECU pull).

On Passats it's pretty easy, on the new A4's and the transverse cars it's money well spent. My hands still hurt from the last "trifecta" of TDis I did :mad: Many full-serve shops charge much more than $25.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On Passats it's pretty easy, on the new A4's and the transverse cars it's money well spent. My hands still hurt from the last "trifecta" of TDis I did Many full-serve shops charge much more than $25
The installer was talking about just pulling the ECU from some Audis. He says theres a ton of bands to cut and work around. The process in the Passat takes about 5 seconds, about 2 hours in the Audi.

You are SO lucky you live near the Wett HQ!
Well actually I made the 2 hour trip, couldn't go without the car while the ECU was in the mail.

Im a little new to the 1.8t and had heard about the Wett chip. Is htere a thread or website I can check out about the process? I just bought a '04 Passat Wagon and want to chip it for sure.
Wetteraurer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.