Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was putting in my new light bulbs a few days ago and it gave me a chance to check out the little trap before the air filter. Boy am I glad I did. It was filled to the top with wheat chaff, dead bugs, small rocks :shock: , grass, sticks and all kinds of other stuff. Frankly I have no idea how air was making it's way into the engine. Went out for a drive right after cleaning and acceleration felt smooth. I wondering if the motor was starving for air, thus my slight surging problem?

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
good call. thanks for the heads up :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Well... you have a secondary air intake that will provide air should that path become obstructed, but you will certainly notice signifigant performance gains with outside air and a clean prefilter :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I took the prefilter out so no need to check. Although I agree a clean air filter box will provide more air to the engine

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can see how to remove the air intake pipe from reading Rich P's write up in the information forum, page 2. Open his headlight replacement link and look at the 10th and 11th pic down, it shows how to remove the pipe. After you remove the pipe you will notice where it connects to the air filter box a small trap at the bottom and a mesh prefilter. I just used a shop vac with a small attachment on it to vacuum out the crap.

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33997

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I beleve thats the Snow filter your talking about. I removed mine long ago.....

·
Registered
442 Posts
I beleve thats the Snow filter your talking about. I removed mine long ago.....
After all the debris collected in a4passata6's filter, don't you want to put it back in? At least it separates the wheat from the chaff. (sorry, couldn't resist) Anything debris I find in the prefilter makes me glad that it didn't get into the intake path (air = good; rocks = bad)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Nah....It just collects in the bottom of the Box, I vacum it out now and then. I'd rather have the unimpeeded flow to make my chipped Turbo happy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts