Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won't be on here much more, I guess (less than now, anyways). My Passat is dead. I hit a patch of ice on an otherwise dry road, in the open, with above freezing temps here in Germany, doing between 70 and 80 mph. My tire went off the right side of the road, onto real soft mud, and when I tried to correct it, it was too little, too late. The car went sideways, flew across the other side of the road, hit the top of a ditch, and that's where things get fuzzy, until I landed upside down, and then fuzzy again until I landed upright in some farmer's field. What we figured happened, from looking at the marks in the field, is this: I hit the ditch, flipped up and sideways, landed on the left side of my trunk, bounced, and landed on all four tires, about 100 feet from where I left the road (somehow barely avoiding a sign, by mere inches). That's the best me, my friends, and the Polizei can come up with. The Polizei were amazed that I walked out. I found my glasses folded up laying on my dashboard, like they had been placed there. The funny thing is, is I was in uniform at the time, wearing my beret, and I couldn't find it. That was the number one thing on my mind when I got out of my car. Also (smokers will appreciate this), when I went off the road, I had a cigarette between my fingers, and when I landed, I had the cigarette still, just no cherry or tobacco left in the paper. Odd, the things we think about, right? It still hasn't really set in yet. It will soon, and I will probably break down and :cry: . All I got was a strain in my upper back and neck, and a scratch on my thumb. It was crazy, looking at the damage to my car, and the speed, and the fact that I was airborne twice, and I walked out with minor injuries. Anyways, enough blabbering. I would recommend this car to anyone who has a new driver in the family, safety-wise. And, no, I don't need to hear 'why were you going so fast?', 'that was so irresponsible, etc.' I was going that speed because it was comfortable, and I was still getting passed by other cars, and I wasn't even on the Autobahn. So, peace everyone, and hopefully your serious accidents end like mine.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Glad to hear you're safe raptor1056. Thank you for serving our Country and hope you have a safe and happy Christmas.

-Mark

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Glad you're here to talk about it, instead of it being talked about.
Sounds like you have something to be grateful for.
Now, the question begs.
Your post says. 'Another Passat takes one for the team'
Was there one or more previous?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Glad you're here to talk about it, instead of it being talked about.
Sounds like you have something to be grateful for.
Now, the question begs.
Your post says. 'Another Passat takes one for the team'
Was there one or more previous?
I'm talking about other people's Passats that have been in serious accidents, like the guy who slammed into somebody stopped on the freeway at about 60mph. I will try to get pics soon, when I go look at the wreckage, to see what I can salvage. My buddy has some contacts here in Germany.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,509 Posts
B5/B5.5 Passats have a very impressive safety record in the U.S. Experiences such as Raptor's help all of us tolerate the reliability and ownership cost issues.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
B5/B5.5 Passats have a very impressive safety record in the U.S. Experiences such as Raptor's help all of us tolerate the reliability and ownership cost issues.
Yup, IIHS shows 0deaths per million in multi-vehicle accedents
17/million in all accedents (SV and roll over)

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Whoa :Yikes: ... glad you walked away from this one.

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
Well said.

Raptor, glad you made it out with such minor injuries! Hope you feel better soon.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts