Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my search for that really dumb Jetta commercial, I found this at the Tex in the MKIV forum:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1239254

Ok. So I pulled into the station to fill up. Starting pumping and went to get a soda. In the store my manager called and asked me something so I had to write down her number. I walked out with my soda and went in my car to get a pen and paper. I write down her number and we hang up. Then I start my car and leave.

I heard a pop but it was so quiet I figured I ran over a bottle. 2 miles later I get home and am backing into my garage when I look in my right mirror and see something awkward. I get out and there this is. Instantly I take the camera out of my pockets and snap some pics.

Funny..yes? Stupid??? Yes! What do I do with this thing??

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Gas stations now have a quick disconnect that shuts off gas flow because this haappens. Hopefully he'll take it back - the station owner won't be too mad about the driveoff if he gets his hose and dispenser back. If he doesn't, well most gas stations also have cameras. I'd call the car owner and then sue in small claims if I were the station owner!

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
1.) If I ever did this I would NEVER tell anyone about it.

2.) I hope to GOD I'm never so obtuse that I would drive 2 miles with the damn thing connected to my car.

I don't know what makes this guy a bigger dork. Driving off with the hose connected in the first place, admitting to everyone how stupid he is or for taking pictures of it.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Sullie said:

2.) I hope to GOD I'm never so obtuse that I would drive 2 miles with the damn thing connected to my car.

I don't know what makes this guy a bigger dork. Driving off with the hose connected in the first place, admitting to everyone how stupid he is or for taking pictures of it.
I disagree with your first statement.

Yes, it's embarassing as hell, yes, it was stupid, but I think admitting it shows he owns up to his own faults and has a ton of good character.

That said, the word dork as you've used it doesn't seem entirely out of place....

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I would have told people and taken pictures because its funnier than it is just embarassing.

But I do agree that I hope I would notice sooner than after 2 miles!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I agree that it's weird that this guy isn't so ashamed of doing something pretty dumb. He's definetly not ashamed enough to keep it a secret :roll:

·
Registered
479 Posts
D.Passat00 said:
larrs said:
Doesn't it also mean he drove off without paying for the gas?
well, usually, you have to pre-pay.
Not always. In NJ where I usually buy, there is only full service (self service is illegal in NJ). If you're paying cash, you pay the guy after he finishes filling the car.

In NY near me, at self service, it's prepay only if the station has been upgraded to "pay at the pump" otherwise you pump first then go inside and pay.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Sharky said:
Sullie said:

I disagree with your first statement.

Yes, it's embarassing as hell, yes, it was stupid, but I think admitting it shows he owns up to his own faults and has a ton of good character.

That said, the word dork as you've used it doesn't seem entirely out of place....
Well, just because you ARE a character doesn't necessarily mean you HAVE character! ;-)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Heh, I don't know why he posted on the 'tex. It was in his live journal, and he told me about it at school. He did pay for gas (as all gas in CA is prepaid). He drove away and didn't notice until he got home, and he was too embarressed to bring it back to the station.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
You have to understand this, in the current safety minded gas station business, the corporate stations are not even allowed to reconnect that, we have to pay someone 300 dollars to come out and plug it in. I know because I am a BP manager. We also get peoples insurance when this happens, and send it in for t to be paid for, so its not a cheap and easy fix. Besides that, with all the cameras, if the manager wanted to catch you he or she will, if not then they dont really care because they are making too much money to care about 300 dollars in site expenses. This guy should feel proud that he did what usually only happens to 70 year old women tha tnever pump gas. He was also talking on a cell, and sitting in his car, two proven fire hazards because of static.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
jaycevs said:
year old women tha tnever pump gas. He was also talking on a cell, and sitting in his car, two proven fire hazards because of static.

acutally the cell phone is a proven urban ledgend

but yea you shouldnt talk on cells in the gas station becuase they make you do dumb crap like this

1 - 20 of 31 Posts