Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
are the "ignition control module" and the "engine control module" the same thing?

here's my dilemma: i have a '99 1.8TM that i'm diagnosing for an "intermittent cylinder 3 firing" CEL code. i'm also thinking of getting the wett chip from the group buy. so lets say the cylinder misfire thing is due to a bad ignition control module and that needs to be replaced. should i replace that first and then send in my "chip" to wett for modification? but if they're both the same thing, i should be able to send in the ecm and get the new chip right? or is the ECM different from the ICM but they're both in the same box?

thanks for your help all! :bow: this forum rocks!

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Hey Zee. I'm pretty sure the ECU and the ICM are entirely separate entities. Its the ECU that you want to remove if you're going to get chipped. You won't be able to do much troubleshooting with the ECU out of the car in any event. When you get your ECU back from Wett, if you want to resume troubleshooting from where you left off, just pop your stock chip back into the socket. Voila!

By the way, there's a couple of us here in the Twin Cities with VAG-Com tools. If you need access to one, PM me.

Welcome.

Kenny

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks ken and kidvdub! since the first message, i've educated myself (from older messages on the forum - did i tell you this rocks?) about the difference between the ECU and ICM.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts