Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i've been thinking about it and thinking about it for so long i finally decided to give it a shot. For my 1st attempt i think it turned out okay. I plan on getting a probe thermometer to see if there is any difference in the air temp with and without the shield. I also added some ducting to guide the front ram-air section to the top of the filter and another (COAM style) from the front left grill to the bottom of the filter. I used 30 gauge sheet metal (that's all they had at home depot) and some Heat insulation/reflector material from Pep-Boys...which i later found cheaper at Home Depot ($20 @ Pep boys....$17 at Home Depot). I also used some Fire resistant motar...i wasn't sure of the heat levels and if traditional silicone would be up to the task so i decided to try this stuff. Looks like it's holding the material pretty well and it dries in about 5-10 minutes. This "heat-shield" is working in conjunction with the HKS shield provided. I'm curious to know what you guys think. Also any idea for improvments? Or was it just a plain dumb idea?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I like it. Just one question. Don' t you think it would have been better to also wrap the factory tube from the grill back(the one not covered in you 2nd picture)? Looks good though!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
179 Posts
It would seem to me with the back being open it would draw the heat as you drive, I dont think you would need ventilation on the top. Nice job, Let us know if it helps :thumbup:

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some preliminary test results on this setup shows promising results.
I got a probe Thermometer and placed it by the intake filter. These 2 test results where done with the DIY cover and COAM tubing.

At idle after a spirited drive the intake temps rose to a max of 130 degrees
While driving at a steady 40 mph on a 5 mile loop, intake temps droped dramatically to around 65 degrees...outside ambient temp according to my B5 temp meter was 65 degrees.

This morning driving to work, outside temp was 75 degrees. In stop and go traffic i was getting around mid 90s in take temp while going less than 5 mph. when moving (max of 60 mph) i was able to get intake temps to the low 70s.

So it shows that COAM tubing is most likely doing it's job by cooling the air around my filter..... but it still remains that if the cover is helping or not. I'll do a final test with the cover on tonight to see the results (i imagine they'd be the same as current results) and then starting tomorrow i'll run the same tests with the same drive but with the cover off. If my over all temps are higher than current temps then i'd assume the cover is doing it's job. If temps are around the same with the cover off then the cover does nothing but look like a jiffy-pop cover in my engine bay. And of course if the tempes are lower than current readings with the cover off, it just means that the cover is holding the heat in instead of keeping it out.

These are my assumptions at least....

Coments?

:crazy:

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Did you ever think about doing a comparison while the OEM intake was still in place? Just to get a baseline to compare your new findings to...

I've thought about this idea with my EVO intake... while it sounds cool it seems that its sucking up more hot air since its fairly open (heat shield doesn't enclose it).

Good luck... and keep us informed.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JROO-VW said:
Did you ever think about doing a comparison while the OEM intake was still in place? Just to get a baseline to compare your new findings to...

I've thought about this idea with my EVO intake... while it sounds cool it seems that its sucking up more hot air since its fairly open (heat shield doesn't enclose it).

Good luck... and keep us informed.
Problem i have is more...i think of things for testing after everything is said and done...kind of an afterthought of "what i shoulda done".

So i don't have a good baseline...nor is this the best/most accurate testing.....i should have gotten a test without the hosing (COAM) and then with...as well as with and without the cover....but it's more of a pain to undo 1/2 the mod then redo just for testing purposes.... :weirdo: mainly cause i'm lazy....but hopefully some of these findings would be some-what useful...perhaps i can get some-1 elses B5 and use that as a baseline test?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Have you thought of any other types of materials to help cool the air....

I've been looking for a material that would exhibit cooling properties rather then just shielding from the heat on one side.

I would take the time to reinstall the OEM intake just to see if the test showed any signs of improvement... just the tester in me I guess. I did the swap back to OEM painful as it was... just to see if the difference during winter helped the MPG.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts