Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran into a Cobra last night....obviouselly it wasnt the supercharged one....or this wouldnt even be a story. I wouldn't even try to race those. But this one wasn't....

We did few runs from 2nd and 3rd gear and lets just say that he wasnt going anwhere....and I wasnt going anywhere. Side by side on every run.

I'll tell ya....GTs has given me more problems then this thing...but that was off the line. Guess these things are not as fast on the highway.

Sounds familiar Ron? 8) :lol:

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
those were a claimed 320hp. that's a lot of power, not sure how it could have lost but then again i'm not sure what the chipped k04s put out.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
But it's a Mustang they need loads of power to move em' down the street, after all it's a Ford.

FYI, I own 3 Ford trucks and all but one have been in the shop many times under warranty and have had 3 motors to date replaced..so I reserve the right to bash on Ford... :lol:

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Medrosje said:
those were a claimed 320hp. that's a lot of power, not sure how it could have lost but then again i'm not sure what the chipped k04s put out.
230-ish HP from a K04

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Medrosje said:
Its all about the driver. Also I am not sure, if those were offered with an auto tranny.

but those cobra's usually dyno around 270 to 280 rear wheel hp, and layed down a 5.0 to 5.2 0-60 time.

-Nick

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
you're putting what... maybe 200-210 to the wheels?

the stang will most likely be putting down closer to 250 (likely even higher, depending on the year) to the rear.

i'd chalk it up to driver error.

especially in third gear.... you know what they say about displacement....

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
it doesnt matter if the guy with the cobra had no clue how to shift correctly (thats probly why he lost
3-4 times....
)

winning is winning. if youre gonna buy a cobra and race people, you better know how to drive it

good job passatTurbonium :thumbup:

btw: im a ford driver so i am allowed to bash ford drivers

·
Banned
131 Posts
Doubtfull the Cobra owner was trying or knew how to drive, you're talking a huge power difference between a 2001 GT and a Cobra if GTs are giving you problems with 220 HP at the wheels.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
XSuROsISX said:
Doubtfull the Cobra owner was trying or knew how to drive, you're talking a huge power difference between a 2001 GT and a Cobra if GTs are giving you problems with 220 HP at the wheels.
Well GTs are about as fast as my car off the line, it snot easy with FWD, but I do keep up with them and on some occasions even pull on them.

Never really raced a GT on the highway though.....my friends, but his is modded.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Banned
131 Posts
I know with an average driver the 2001 Cobras were solid mid to low 13 second cars and the GT's were high 13 low 14 second cars. The K04 turbo is still a puny turbo compaired to what's used on other cars in it's class, have you ran your car at the track or put it on a Dynojet? I'm curious to see what it's et/traps are and how much power it's making.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Wow, for the all the harsh words many of you have for forum members on the Vortex, I can't help but laugh at threads like this (on this supposedly superior and more mature board). Do you go around racing people everyday passaturbonium? All I do is see threads about your glorious Passat spanking every high performance vehicle it comes into contact with. Let me know how it goes when you get your first ticket for street racing or worse, hurt/kill someone. :thumbdow:

Nice to see you all supporting this behavior. Hey, whatever makes you feel like you have the biggest johnson right? :roll:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
You didn't have to read it. The subject clearly states he is going to talk about a race w/a Mustang. Every car forum is going to have people bring this stuff up. When you are online with a bunch of people who modify cars what did you expect? I don't street race my car, but understand people are going to do it.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Not defending Jacob, or myself for that matter, anyone that mods their cars in any way and claims to never exploit it on the streets is not teling the truth. Having met Jacob several times, I highly doubt he does this kind of stuff at 5pm in B2B traffic. I'd be telling a non-truth if I said I never exceeded the speed limit either on my own or while toying with another driver but on an open road,late in the evening with virtually no traffic. Am I not in the wrong for doing so ? Absolutely not but if and when I do it, it's not during rush hour. Speed is not "wrecklessness" as society would have us believe. Wrecklessness happens more in the 50-70 mph range than it does at triple digits, assuming the car and the driver are capable of handling them....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
14 Participants
passaturbonium
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing