Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

161 - 169 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
27,233 Posts
Hi, I am new. Cool this topic here is also big.
My 1999 limousine was cleaned out yesterday. I removed the Interiour-Air-filter housing (broken seal, a lot of rust), the housing of the ECU and the battery tray to get acces to all the dirt. I think I was first one to do so. I attached some pics. Everything was sealed with PU-sealant, so I might be the last who did this job.

Anyway I found a clear hose under the battery with a broken connector. Anyone knows what it is for? Do I need it (1)?
And the rubber sealant behind (2) is broken. Also, do I need it?
I would replace the rubber seal, rebuild the rusted off metal either with Epoxy or by cutting and welding new metal into the area.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thats funny you bring this up. My vehicle was going into limp mode on first start every day. And it has become worse. This weekend I lifted my carpet to find my TCM just sitting above the brink of sitting in a puddle of water. Just enough for the water to creep into the wiring.

I agree - this is a really important task to avoid the tears of replacing a component.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is especially for the newer users here, but is also a reminder for the older users here; now is the time to start thinking about cleaning out the leaves that inevitably work their way into your engine bay.
Perfection! I can now return the goldfish and aquarium decorations.Many thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just found out about Passat World (how??) and joined immediately.
Got my first "ooh"-moment already. Thanks for the reminder!

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is especially for the newer users here, but is also a reminder for the older users here; now is the time to start thinking about cleaning out the leaves that inevitably work their way into your engine bay.

The area I am talking about is specifically under the battery tray and the master cylinder. Under these two areas, there are two grommets that allow water to drain out of that area. If leaves clog the drain, water backs up and sits in there.

If enough water collects there, it will flow into the passenger compartment and will flood out your Transmission Control Unit (TCU) (for Tiptronic owners) and the Comfort and Convenience Module (CCM) (on all cars).
got mine done

·
Registered
VW PASSAT
5 Posts
yep just had this problem on my VW Passat 2003 plate and it drove me made as I couldn’t remove the battery on my own to stop the glove box and passengers ( near side ) flooring from flooding and was sodden and started to go mouldy, I needed my two sons to get the battery out and vac up all the leaves and dried up mud and dirt. We’ve had some real heavy rain down fulls and all is good and dry. Definitely a job I may do twice a year from now on.

161 - 169 of 169 Posts