Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

141 - 155 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just want to add that in addition to removing leaves/twigs from the cowl and clearing the drains (which I just did to my 01) it would be prudent to remove the wheels and inner fenders to get at and clean the packed vegetation that may have worked its way into the lower fender area from the side cowl drains. As I have not done this yet to mine, I'm not sure of what surprises await but I DO know there was a bunch of debris in both my Mk4 and Mk5 Jettas. Cleaning these areas out will help keep the lower fenders from rotting from the inside. A good time to do it would be during a wheel service such as tire rotation.

A customer's 96 GTI is shown--I had the fender liner off to do some welding to the crossmember bracket of the frame. How low can YOU go... :crazy: ;) And yes, I vacuumed the leaves out before I did anything else and informed the customer he should do the same to the other side.

leaves600.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just cleaned mine out the other day as I was doing some work in there anyway. It was half full of water. I covered the area with vinyl screen material from one side to the other sandwiching the screen between the metal flange and the cover so I could tuck it in place when reinstalling the weather stripping. Hopefully next year there will be no leaves! I'd upload a photo but I am currently without a camera or smartphone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please excuse a newbie, but does this clean-out require removal/disconnection of the battery? If so, does not removal of the battery cause the "monsoon" radio to go into safe mode, and require codes to unlock it? (I am learning as fast as I can - the car is new to us, and we have no code card for the radio)

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Please excuse a newbie, but does this clean-out require removal/disconnection of the battery? If so, does not removal of the battery cause the "monsoon" radio to go into safe mode, and require codes to unlock it? (I am learning as fast as I can - the car is new to us, and we have no code card for the radio)
Year of car?

If you see a lot of old sludgy or dries stuck on crud in the battery/ drains area I would for sure remove the batt and plate. If things look pretty clean you should be ok and not have to remove it.

Sometimes the Monsoons will require the code to get it out of safe mode. Sometimes not. Not sure why it's needed on some and not others.

Look in the owners manual or any paperwork that came with the car for the radio code. If it isn't there your best bet would be to pull the radio. Get the #'s off the back and hit up the local VW service dept for the code.

·
Registered
45 Posts
After flooding of the battery tray destroyed my under seat ECM I've become fanatical about leaves. So, every year I take my Passat in for snow tire installation I pay for the mechanic to pull the battery and clear out the leaves. I'm amazed how leaves collect in the truck sill and between rear window and base rubber.

I still love my B5. Just had it Krown coated and so far no rust. Just about to click over 170,000 km. Not bad for an 18 year old car.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Try repairing the wire connections first; see if problems are corrected; if not, consider replacing.

In my 2003 Passat wagon water got under the drivers side carpet from the leaking roof window drain, got into the (supposed) protective plastic box under the carpet which one would think should keep the CCM dry, and corroded the factory soldered wire connections to the CCM. I had crazy things happening to the window controls, cruise control, etc. The wires into the CCM are color coded and I was able to re-soldered them. When finished wrapped the soldered connections with elec tape, caulked the wiring entrance into "protective" box, and caulked its lid shut. Since then, all good. Terrible engineering.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The TCM can malfunction, causing bad/no shifting - replacements can be around $800 from VW, or $300-$400 on eBay. MUCH cheaper to clean out the drains, plus less downtime.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
On a sidenote: I retrofitted the bay cover on my B5 and had no issues since then. Last week i removed the cover to sell it. It started to rain. Next day the bay was full of water..........

·
Registered
10 Posts
I cleaned the bay out on mine, no standing water but lots of leafs.

I removed the rubber plugs, I was expecting to see the transmission/ground under the battery hole but instead it looks like there is another chamber.
Should I put the plug back?

I would; both sides can flood. The padding under the carpet is very thick, and can hold a lot of water for a long time. And, if you have an automatic transmission, the computer that runs the transmission (the TCM) is over there. Even if you have a manual, the carpet can mold and the floorboards will eventually rust.
Is it possible to get under the carpet to check the TCM, CCM and water pooling without removing the seats?
Tried finding a youtube video of someone replacing the TCM but everyone skips that part, can I just remove the trim cover and pull the carpet back?

4- DO NOT use compressed air without knowing how to do it. It will blow the connections apart if you use too much air.
Seems like the easiest way of going about it, is there a better way? I wouldn't try to run 90psi thru it but 20 sounds reasonable.

How are they connected inside? just push fit?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Around $800 was for the part - maybe they are adding labor to install, etc.
Installation is EZ - all you need is a Phillips screwdriver. Pull the passenger side kick panel (one screw), & door sill plate, pull up the rug, and pop open the black box under the floor. Unplug/plug the TCM & put it back together.

·
Registered
14 Posts
TCM access is EZ - all you need is a Phillips screwdriver.
Pull the passenger side kick panel (one screw), & door sill plate, pull up the rug - to replace the TCM, pop open the black box under the floor. Unplug/plug the TCM & put it back together.

·
Registered
3 Posts
DUDE, the leaves!!

I have never experienced such a collection of autumn foliage gathering and then attempting to make its own compost heap even - or maybe it is the first time I actually care cause upon further thought I do remember removing leaves from the engine bay in my old shitty car every time I had to jump start (which was oftenish ha haha)..

If I dried out all the leaves and twigs (and cone type seed pod things) from the hinge area of my hood and my boot i would have enough to start a small camp fire - FFS!

And do not get me started on the bloody pollen - it is spring here in Upper Hutt and that pollen dust works its way into all the cracks and then sets hard like some sort of outside garden and deck builders prima putty!!!

I now have worked out a system using spray bottles (one of water with car wash added and one with just water to rinse) and a variety of bristled items that dont scratch the paint (old large and small paint brushes, soft child and adult tooth brushes, a juice extractor cleaning implement with a brush on one end and a sharp thin plastic bit on the other, a few old clean cloth nappies and a weird sponge thing on a stick that was once used to cut in, edge, when house painting) to clean this stubborn rust attracting gunk.

So far I have spent 6 hours (maybe more) on this well needed and very worthwhile project and there is still more to do and I may have become a little obsessive about it. So yup - thats what I am off outside to do now and the progress does excite me and I dont care who knows it.

141 - 155 of 155 Posts