Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

121 - 140 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had this issue with my 2003. Water leaked into the rear passenger area and apparently having a standard is the only thing that saved my TCU.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Actually as a follow-up...I was debating drilling some additional holes along the route to make sure the water always has an additonal way to drain...Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I know this is an old post but I'm wondering if my 01 Passat V6 is supposed to have some sort of cover that goes across the entire area under the hood covering the battery and that whole area?

I am constantly cleaning that area out.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,486 Posts
The B5 cars have no cover over the battery bay. The B5.5 cars do have a cover that helps keep leaves out of this bay. I guess they saw the pattern/problem and worked up a solution.

I put a B5.5 engine bay cover on my 99 B5. I had to do a little trimming to make it fit but it does the job of keeping leaves out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
hot air

My ecu failed. Did not seem wet around it.
Took it out and the aluminum cover was dripping.
Condensation Poor combination of materials.
I blew the motherboard with a hot air gun and the third time
it started working, and has kept working for several days now.
I am going to zip-lock bag it with some descant
Have to service the descant every 6 months, oh well

·
Registered
13 Posts
Could I ask where the battery box is?
Mine is up by the windshield, and has a black plastic cover that slides sideways to get off.
No way could leaves or anything else get in there.
I pulled my battery out and there is nothing but original factory paint.
I must be missing something.
O, the battery looked like new, too.
No corrosion anywhere

·
Superman W8 Saves The Day!
607 Posts
It's time for me to do this, I'll have to take out the Bentley for help and I'm also worried about all those little plastic bits breaking.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
It's time for me to do this, I'll have to take out the Bentley for help and I'm also worried about all those little plastic bits breaking.
If you have the cover than all's you need to do is pull the black weather striping back (that holds it in place) and gently pull the cover off. After I got my 01 Passat and reading this I took a look and it had a few years of gunk in there. I got and 04 Passat a few months after that and same thing. Totally clogged.

To clean the area properly I removed the battery, discarded the 2 rubber grommets. Cleaned the area of all the debris. Hosed it completely out then used a leaf blower to dislodge any debris you can't see then clean it again.

You would be amazed at how much debris hides up under the battery tray, under the brake booster and areas you cant really visually inspect.

Replace the battery, cover and reinstall the black weather stripping.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Could someone please post pics to show us newbies what the areas of concern look like when the covers are off? Hate to inconvenience this forum but pics would certainly help. Point me in the right direction if such pics are already available elsewhere on this or another thread. As always, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Water Help Needed

I know this may NOT be the place for this but after about an hour looking around, I haven't found anywhere else to post. I was looking for a General' area where someone could post a vanilla, starting point for a truly NEWBIE to find their way to the specific place. There is almost TOO MUCH information here!!!!
I have a 2001 Passat station wagon (standard V6 engine) and am experiencing water ingress problems; the passenger side floor was soaked after a mild rain (found the next day). The windows were up tight and the sunroof (which I -NEVER- use) was closed. I did find the info about water collecting under the battery compartment. So, yesterday (Fri), I removed the battery and the battery tray and did find the two drain holes; one almost directly under the battery and the other more to the left (driver side). The Battery hole was filled with damp debris, which I poked out easily. It was encouraging to see that the battery tray was rusted on the right side, indicating the presence of standing water. The drain on the left was clear and the little skirt was intact. So, I felt good that I had found my problem. Today (Sat) we had a short rain. When I went out to check, I found the front right corner of the passenger side carpet had a very wet spot (3" dia). I should mention the car sits at the curb with the right front wheel next to the curb channel (cul-de-sac) so the car has a slight tilt to the right. I don't know where the Pollen Filter is and did not see anything that I could recognize as such. With the sunroof never being open, I'm reluctant to see that as a source of the water but I did look through the posts on that and, being really ignorant of what is where, could not figure out where the sunroof drain tubes are and how to find them. I got the feeling that there are significant differences between all the models within the B5 range so ended up feeling kind of lost. If someone can tell me exactly where the Pollen Filter and Sunroof drain tubes are, I'll be ever so grateful (or specific pointers to where I can see them). I think the 'tilt' of the car is part of the problem but I cannot find where it's coming in.
I know it's long but I've spent several hours looking around here and I'm feeling overwhelmed.
So I need some help. :confused:
Many thanks.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
I know this may NOT be the place for this but after about an hour looking around, I haven't found anywhere else to post. I was looking for a General' area where someone could post a vanilla, starting point for a truly NEWBIE to find their way to the specific place. There is almost TOO MUCH information here!!!!
I have a 2001 Passat station wagon (standard V6 engine) and am experiencing water ingress problems; the passenger side floor was soaked after a mild rain (found the next day). The windows were up tight and the sunroof (which I -NEVER- use) was closed. I did find the info about water collecting under the battery compartment. So, yesterday (Fri), I removed the battery and the battery tray and did find the two drain holes; one almost directly under the battery and the other more to the left (driver side). The Battery hole was filled with damp debris, which I poked out easily. It was encouraging to see that the battery tray was rusted on the right side, indicating the presence of standing water. The drain on the left was clear and the little skirt was intact. So, I felt good that I had found my problem. Today (Sat) we had a short rain. When I went out to check, I found the front right corner of the passenger side carpet had a very wet spot (3" dia). I should mention the car sits at the curb with the right front wheel next to the curb channel (cul-de-sac) so the car has a slight tilt to the right. I don't know where the Pollen Filter is and did not see anything that I could recognize as such. With the sunroof never being open, I'm reluctant to see that as a source of the water but I did look through the posts on that and, being really ignorant of what is where, could not figure out where the sunroof drain tubes are and how to find them. I got the feeling that there are significant differences between all the models within the B5 range so ended up feeling kind of lost. If someone can tell me exactly where the Pollen Filter and Sunroof drain tubes are, I'll be ever so grateful (or specific pointers to where I can see them). I think the 'tilt' of the car is part of the problem but I cannot find where it's coming in.
I know it's long but I've spent several hours looking around here and I'm feeling overwhelmed.
So I need some help. :confused:
Many thanks.
sunroof drain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
While I admire your brevity, it might have had more relevance if you had told me where to find the drains. So, after some more searching, I finally found they were in front of and above the front door hinges. When I squeezed the right side rubber tube 'thingy', a stream of water flowed out; nothing from the left. I had seen those black rubber tubes over the years but never knew they were the sunroof drains (I didn't even know the sunroof had drains), I thought they were just some leftover part of the original manufacture. But I still have a couple of questions:
1) Has anyone, exactly, explained how a plugged up drain results in water getting into the compartment?
2) Why isn't the rubber just 'open' to the outside; why is the end shut as it is (nipples)? Will cutting it open have any bad effects?
3) On this 2001 (V6), where are the rear drains? Since I haven't seen any water anywhere else, should I be concerned?
4) I read, in my travels, that compressed air can be applied at the top (in the sunroof) to force any water (in the lines) out. Where can I find detailed reading on that option?
I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I need to learn a lot about this old car and this looks like the place to get educated.
Thanks to all. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
silvercbk

Not to sound rude but searching this site reveals a lot!! So does Google ( I have to remind myself of those 2 also) Any who......

1- The water enters the passenger compartment via the connections with the drains themselves on the sunroof and the drain hose connections.

2- German engineering. Cut the ends off.

3- Be concerned!! They are behind the rear bumper. Accessed by removing the wheel well covers and bumper cover.

4- DO NOT use compressed air without knowing how to do it. It will blow the connections apart if you use too much air.

I wish I could tell you more but I simply don't have the time. I suggest simply searching here and you will find what you are looking for. And then some.....If you are still having issues concerns or what not. Make a new post including the issue you are having or the question and the year make model of your car.

121 - 140 of 155 Posts