Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is especially for the newer users here, but is also a reminder for the older users here; now is the time to start thinking about cleaning out the leaves that inevitably work their way into your engine bay.

The area I am talking about is specifically under the battery tray and the master cylinder. Under these two areas, there are two grommets that allow water to drain out of that area. If leaves clog the drain, water backs up and sits in there.

If enough water collects there, it will flow into the passenger compartment and will flood out your Transmission Control Unit (TCU) (for Tiptronic owners) and the Comfort and Convenience Module (CCM) (on all cars).

·
Wants to be TheFlipperGray
7,339 Posts
Haha! Jay, I had a dead battery that I replaced yesterday. When I removed it I saw some of those thin little stringy leaves in one of the holes and an inch or so of backed up water, I grabbed em out and watched water pour onto the ground. PERFECT pre-fall reminder :thumbup:

·
Registered
254 Posts
This is especially for the newer users here, but is also a reminder for the older users here; now is the time to start thinking about cleaning out the leaves that inevitably work their way into your engine bay.

The area I am talking about is specifically under the battery tray and the master cylinder. Under these two areas, there are two grommets that allow water to drain out of that area. If leaves clog the drain, water backs up and sits in there.

If enough water collects there, it will flow into the passenger compartment and will flood out your Transmission Control Unit (TCU) (for Tiptronic owners) and the Comfort and Convenience Module (CCM) (on all cars).
amen to that! remember to clean those pesky moon roof drain tubes out also. make sure they're connected! water intrusion sux ass..

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I wish I had a Passat to de-leave.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Nice PSA :lol: I just cleaned mine out about 3 weeks ago and had a little gunk in there, pretty gross. Modified the drain grommets by cutting the flaps of rubber underneath off and reinstalling the grommets so there weren't bare edges in the drain holes. Front sunroof drain nips have been cut open for years!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi. You said there were two such drains. Can you please show their location via pictures (especially the one under the master cylinder)? Also, will the plug of either of these areas cause water to intrude the interior?

Thanks.

·
27,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd still check for leaves, even with a B5.5 battery cover backfit into place. leaves can still get into the corners of the engine bay.

·
27,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi. You said there were two such drains. Can you please show their location via pictures (especially the one under the master cylinder)? Also, will the plug of either of these areas cause water to intrude the interior?

Thanks.
the description of the area isn't adequate enough? and yes, each area will cause water to back up; hopefully, if one is full of leaves, the water should drain out of the other if it isn't full of leaves...even so, clean the entire area of leaves.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks, I finally found this opening as well. Unfortunately it wasn't clogged so I guess (and hope) it's the AC drain which is problematic in my case.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I'm gonna set this as the homepage on my browser because I've been meaning to do this for a while, but I always forget until nighttime...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Nice reminder, I just checked all the drain locations because I've been getting water intrusion. It settles under my DRIVERS SIDE front seat. All my drains were fine, and i've come to realize that it is getting in through my driver's side door.

It basically somehow pools up at the bottom of the door and then leaks into the drivers seat area. I have been unable to stop this from happening, has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Nice reminder, I just checked all the drain locations because I've been getting water intrusion. It settles under my DRIVERS SIDE front seat. All my drains were fine, and i've come to realize that it is getting in through my driver's side door.

It basically somehow pools up at the bottom of the door and then leaks into the drivers seat area. I have been unable to stop this from happening, has anyone else experienced this?

Sir

Bad "windowregulatormountingplateseal" (A1 scrabble word :lol:")

·
Registered
246 Posts
Jay, thanks for the reminder. Since I am the King of Deferred Maintenance, I know that I can usually put off this chore for another year or two :)

But I had the battery disconnected for another reason the other day, and figured "what the heck" even though I had cleaned it out, what, 8 or 10 or 18 months ago or something, Jay says to do it :poke: so I'd take a look.

Yikes! There was a big deep pool of water there! A couple of leaves, some pine needles, and a spherical nut shell that perfectly plugged the drain under the battery. It's freed up now, but I will work this small task onto my UNdeferred maintenance chore list.

Thanks for the reminder! :bowdown:

·
Registered
137 Posts
You nudged me to check further into my tray, too.
I'd vacuumed out the loose debris when I got the car in April, but did not want to mess with disconnecting the battery, then.

Today I had the hose out to rinse off some dirt road dust, and decided to try filling the tray under the battery to see if it would drain.

It did drain, but very slowly. I could easily fill the tray up a couple of inches deep using the hose.

I found that I could reach my hand into the tray from drivers side, under some components on the fire wall, and find one plugged drain hole without removing any thing from the tray. A bit of finger poking and the mud-plug dropped through and the tray drained faster than I can fill it.

If/when I need to pull the battery out, I'll do the proper job, but a drain test would seem to be the next best thing to seeing there.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts