Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had an internal dashboard rattle they were able to remedy? I have a 2001 sedan. Sounds like it is comming from the passenger side but I can't tell exactly where it is coming from since I only hear it while driving. It isn't a problem when I have the Monsoon blasting but it is probably something easy to fix.
Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
170 Posts
You know what I did to fix my rattle? I took some matte black fabric cut it into long strips and shoved it in the dash. I shoved it where the top of the dash meets the windshield. Apparently theres a huge gap there (about index finger width and real deep). It swallowed up a lot of fabric and took me by surprise. But it worked. Give it a try.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I took mine to the dealer with the same issue. The guy stuffed velour like padding all around the double din radio and most of the rattle is gone.

I still hear a little from the rear seat though. Not sure what it is. Maybe the Seatbelt buckle (latch?) is shaking a little too much. Can't think of anything else. And can't take my eyes off the road either :nervous:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Pop off the passenger's side cover on the side of the dash. Take out the torx screws that are behind it (I think there are two). There is a metal ledge that a dash "foot" rests on. It's supposed to have something between the foot and the ledge, sometimes it's misaligned or not there. I put a rubber washer in there. Put screws back in. Rattle's gone. At least that was mine. Sounded like it was at the base of the windshield in front of the passenger's airbag.

Go here to see what I'm talking about:

http://www6.district125.k12.il.us/~dalcarls/dash_foot.jpg

The red arrow points to the foot/ledge, and the washer's between the two (you can't see it).

·
Registered
472 Posts
I still hear a little from the rear seat though. Not sure what it is. Maybe the Seatbelt buckle (latch?) is shaking a little too much. Can't think of anything else. And can't take my eyes off the road either
That one was dring me nucking futz. It's 95% gone now.

I unlatched the seats, pitched them down. I loosened the strikers for the seatbacks, and moved them closer to the package shelf. Tightened them up, and it was better. I also had to adjust the center bracket between the seats. There are 4 hex head screws that hold it down. Loosen those, and you can move it up and down (the holes in the bracket are slotted for this reason). Move it up, it pulls the seats apart (when they're in the up position). Down does the reverse. It was the leather seats rubbing together. It took me weeks to get it right, but like I said, it's 95% gone now.

The other thing is to stick your hand between the bottom of the back cushions and the bottom cushion, and pull the seatbackcushion towards the front of the car. The rear cusions move quite a bit on bumps, and sometimes the leather gets sorta pulled tight if you've had the seats down and then put them back. Grab the underside of the seatback cusions, pull forward, all along the length of them. That may help too.

Stupid design, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Is it the glove box. I have a noise that sounds like its coming from the glove compartment. I haven't had a chance to really investigate it yet, but if anyone knows of a solution please let us know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a passenger side rattle fixed by the dealer. I was told that it was loose airbag clips and that they had seen (or heard) this before.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Oh! By the way, when I approached this dealer in CT about the rattle issue, one of the technicians says, "These Jettas and Passats are known to have rattle issues and they aren't built so tough".

·
Registered
345 Posts
mbogosia said:
Is it the glove box. I have a noise that sounds like its coming from the glove compartment. I haven't had a chance to really investigate it yet, but if anyone knows of a solution please let us know.
I think I know what the glove box rattle is , look at the little round air vent that lets cool air in the glove box for the summer time. This little round knob is sometimes loose and it knocks .

Check it out ... it was the case for me

Johnny

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thaks for all the tips. I think I found the culprit. I opened up the access panel on the side of the dash near the glovebox and spent some time in there while taping on the dash. I found the airbag canister was vibrating and causing the rattle. When I held it by hand the rattle stopped. It is pretty tough to reach in there with any tools and maybe the bracket that holds it is loose or something so I cut a big chunk of foam rubber padding and wedged it between the canister and the glove box housing. It fit tight and so far so good!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Speaking of Rattles, and noises! Anyones Steering wheel creeking when your turning it? What did you guys use? I was thinking of shaving it a bit, but that would look messy, Or use some lithium grease to slick it up a bit.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
AgVWB5 said:
Pop off the passenger's side cover on the side of the dash. Take out the torx screws that are behind it (I think there are two). There is a metal ledge that a dash "foot" rests on. It's supposed to have something between the foot and the ledge, sometimes it's misaligned or not there. I put a rubber washer in there. Put screws back in. Rattle's gone. At least that was mine. Sounded like it was at the base of the windshield in front of the passenger's airbag.

Go here to see what I'm talking about:

http://www6.district125.k12.il.us/~dalcarls/dash_foot.jpg

The red arrow points to the foot/ledge, and the washer's between the two (you can't see it).
hmm, intersting, mine was rattling when starting out from a standstill, i removed the access cover and the noise seems to be gone. there was some felt tape behind the cover that seems to be coming undone.

·
Registered
204 Posts
johnnyriv said:
mbogosia said:
I think I know what the glove box rattle is , look at the little round air vent that lets cool air in the glove box for the summer time. This little round knob is sometimes loose and it knocks .

Check it out ... it was the case for me

Johnny
Will see if that works for me... although I think it is my glove-box door. It "latches" very poorly, and pushing on it seems to stop the rattle... ideas? Drives me nuts.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
My glove box rattled as well. My solution? Just slam it hard and it usually stops, but I've been too lazy to really find the answer. :D

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I noticed if I leave mine open the rattle stops. So therefore it must be in the latch. I haven't even looked though to see if it can be accessed and fixed. Anyone ever dive into the latch of the glove box and find a rattle?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
16 Participants
click99a2000
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing