Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here we go.
As the crapy cold winter months start fall upon us, I have decided to start working on the sound system in the W8 first.
I really want to tear the whole car down all at once but my living situation may change early next year so I need be cognizant of any sudden changes that may have to occur. So with that being said, I thought the audio system would be the easiest to tackle first.

This is going to be a leisurely type upgrade seeing as the car is going to be parked in the garage for the winter, so this thread may be slow at times.

Planned project is as follows:
Factory Monsoon system will be replaced with a full a/d/s amplifier and component speaker system.

:rockon:
The pile of components are:
(2) PQ40.2 powerplate amplifiers
(1) PQ40 powerplate amplifier
1 set of PX series components (tweets, mids and crossovers) for the front of the cabin
1 set of 346c series components (tweets, mids and crossovers) for the rear of the cabin
(2) rs10 subs

All the tweets will be driven by (1) PQ40.2 amp.

All the mids will be driven by (1) PQ40.2 amp.

The (2) subs will be driven by the PQ40 amp.

Head unit: yet to be determined.

I have to find all my boxes of stuff, after I round everything up I'll post some pictures.

Disclaimer:
This project is subject to change at a moments notice. I the owner, reserve the right to change or modify any portion in part or whole of this project as I deem necessary and fit.

:wrench:

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
I'll be watching this one, Dave.

so what's the reason for driving the tweeters separate from the mids?

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A few reasons bring me to this.
1) I did once before in my '98 Mercury Mystique back when I had that car. The result was phenomenal.
2) I'm doing it now on my home stereo rig. I have (2) dual mono chassis amps that I'm using to by-amp my Polk Audio speakers. I have the flagship SDA-SRS series speakers by the way. One of the dual mono amps is driving the tweeters the other dual mono amp is driving the mids. (my speakers have a passive 15" bladder which is hydraulically driven by all of the mids - hence the need for only 2 amps per speaker)
3) And thirdly, because I can.

Without getting into nitty-gritty specifics, the tweeters consume about 30% (per channel) of the overall power sent to a pair of speakers.
Dedicating a single amplifier to each portion of the frequency spectrum that the speakers are able to produce, the amount of available power becomes immediately noticeable, in turn increasing the total efficiency of the amplifier(s). Yeah there is a noticeable increase in volume potential, but the presence of the total musical spectrum is where it's at. I'm all about Sound Quality over SPL levels. Bi-amping definitely delivers the SQ.
I don't know if you have ever bi-amped any of your own speakers, but if you have, you know what I'm talking about.
The slight nuances of certain instruments and other notes across the musical spectrum become more noticeable.
Damping factor also increases. Albeit that's not an issue with tweeters, but an obvious improvement on the lower end frequencies.

Weight my become an issue on this install, so in the end I might just have to eliminate the dedicated amp for the tweeters and let the one of the two amps drive the mids and tweeters.

As a side note, the a/d/s crossovers allow for a dedicated amp to be used on the tweets and mids.

So what do you think Jay? Curious to know how you weigh in on this?

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
I'm not sure that the smallish volume of a car interior will make that much of a difference WRT bi-amping the way you are planning - in a large room, I think it would work great... I know that for my last high-ish end install in my 99 B5, I had so much overhead I would drive my ears into distortion before the speakers (Boston Acoustic Z6 comps, JL Audio 350/4 4-channel amp bi-amped to two channels, separate 12" sub in a sealed box driven by a JL Audio 250/1) - but the SQL was incredible. the biggest single improvement, tho, was being able to add time delay via the head unit to the left channel so all of the sounds arrived at both ears at the same time - it provided an incredible front stage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts