Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leaving work yesterday, I was the last one out of the building / parking lot, jumped in my car, do my usual routine, seat belt, roll windows down, check to see if the engine light comes on. Glare at that airbag light (that's been there for years now) and think to myself, one day I'm gonna fix that, then it happened. As I backed out of my parking spot, I could hear a very distinct squeaking noise. Huh? I go back a bit more, more squeaking. I pull forward, squeaks again. Ruh-roh.
I noticed that when I pulled forward my car stopped without putting the brake on. Can't do anything about it at that time of day, so home I went.
Get home, lift drivers side rear of car up, :oops: wheel is very hard turn. Wheel bearing is teetering right on the very edge of seizing up. New wheel hub bearing is in order.

Not quite this bad yet though. wheel falling off

·
Registered
26,602 Posts
I would pull the caliper just to be certain it's not that. Not sure how many miles you have, but my son's had 240K or so when his parking brake seized in the caliper (only 5 year up north). No issues with wheel bearings yet with over 250K now.

·
Registered
306 Posts
wheel bearings yet with over 250K now.
Sheesh! in my truck in VT I'm lucky if they last 40k. Luckily Moogs are warrantied for three years, so 3 of the last 4 were just labor. (before I couldn't afford to pay anyone to work on my stuff)

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FINALLY...
a place to do some wrenching.
I was able to negotiated with the owner of the company I work for, some terms on which I could wrench on my car during off hours.
As long as I keep it low key (yeah, swapping out axles and the such are pretty low key in my book, right? ;))
Will be swapping out that drivers side rear wheel bearing this weekend. (y)

Nice quality time with the wife. :p

·
Registered
26,602 Posts
Sheesh! in my truck in VT I'm lucky if they last 40k. Luckily Moogs are warrantied for three years, so 3 of the last 4 were just labor. (before I couldn't afford to pay anyone to work on my stuff)
It was 147K on California highways, which are pretty smooth and another 100K plus on interstate highways and secondary highways/roads between Pittsburgh, W.Va and Ohio. Not much local driving, so not too many potholes. I know NJ roads tended to eat wheel bearings from when I worked there. Lot's of potholes.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went to my work today to tackle this wheel bearing issue. Well I got nowhere fast.
The bolts that hold the wheel bearing hub are so badly rusted just looking at them to hard will break them off. I'm going to have to go back a little more prepared and get the air tools out.
Gonna have to cut them bolts off for sure. Then the studs that are left over in the rear spindle flange, I'm not so sure how those are going to come out. I foresee a bunch of cutting, grinding, a few cuss words, drilling and tapping before this is all done.

·
Registered
26,602 Posts
Is this on one of the V6 cars or the W8? I know the FWD are bolt on for the back, but I did not pay attention to the 4Mo.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is a V6 FWD with solid rear beam axle.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
feel your pain , just wrestled with the two front bearings on my B6 which are similar to the B5 rears......originals, 233k on them ,got the four bolts out no problem (was feeling pretty pumped) then the shit fairy stuck. They were seized, (aluminum) strut housing has a slip fit pilot for the (steel) bearing carrier. Rust belt, internal,salt, galvanic,corrosion to the point the two part were one in the same on the molecular level. Had to go back to basics,went "blacksmith " on them, acetylene torch and hammer !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts