Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really had a question about a camshaft that's extremely hard to handcrank after redoing the chain tensioner. I didn't know if it'd be a good idea to post that question here or not, but it's happening. Here's the skinny:

• After getting the rebuilt head back from the machine shop ($450 to rebuild it) and re-installing, I noticed they put 17 chain things in between the cam marks instead of 16 (which kinda makes me wonder what else they screwed up in the head). Reluctantly, I took the cams/tensioner out, fixed the space, then reinstalled. The spacing looks to be right now, but it's not at Top Dead Center. When I try to turn it, I can only move it about 25º forwards on backwards before it stops.
  • The plugs are out. There shouldn't be any compression
  • The timing is not installed. But the crankshaft is at TDC just waiting for his buddy (camshaft to get his life together)
  • With a 16mm socket on a breaker bar, I still can't turn that bastard. I'm probably going to destroy something if I keep on (if i haven't already)
Any thoughts? Thanks internet

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hello and welcome to Passat world. I would recommend you re-post this in section that fits your car since many of the minds here do not watch the "Noob Tube" threads. Also add in year model & specific engine just for clarification. I am most familiar with the 1.8t

On your post I do not recommend proceeding further until you have the motor lined up on Top Dead Center with the cams in their proper position!! If need be loosen the cam caps to raise the cam up off the lifters/valves and adjust the motor to TDC, then align the cams and tighten down the caps back down. These are what is called interference engines and if the Cam to Crank timing is out the valves will hit the top of the pistons. The stem diameters are small and it would not take much force to bend a valve and ruin you fresh machine shop work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts