Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amsoil has a new synthetic 5W 40. It has the SJ, SL ACEA and VW certifications, iirc (I e-mailed them to confirm). The dealer that was selling it was asking over $8 a quart, though. I am currently using 10W 40

They also have an oil filter that is 1/2 inch taller than the Big Kahuna! It has the right thread and gasket size to go on the 1.8T. Sadly, he wanted $18.50 for it. :sad:

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Ganseg, Amsoil was one of my first race sponsors and they have excellent synthetic oil products but their air and oil filters aren't all they are cracked up to be for the Volkswagen application. Not many people know that Amsoil redistributes Hastings Oil and Air Filters for many applications, including VW. Amsoil's VW air filters are not the foam based pass-through elements which are a direct competitor to K&N's gauze based filters. I wasn't too pleased with their oil filters as well because the Hastings element doesn't do as good of a job of trapping contaminants as the OEM VW Bosch or Mahle filters. I ended up running Mobil-1's on the track because they were easy to acquire locally and they did an excellent job.

Now as far their oil and other lubricants, you can't go wrong with anything Amsoil manufactures, but stay away from their Automatic Transmission Fluid. I had a very bad experience with it, and ended up switching to Pentosin ATF-1 immediately after a race because of poor shifting. The 75W-90 lubricant worked wonders in my driveline, and I use their grease in the CV Joints.

Now if you are looking for a good air-filter for the VW, take a look at BMC!! I'm running one now on my W8, and it's a much better design than the K&N Gauze panel replacement filters!

Good luck,

Will aka The Swami

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Will

Good information about Amsoil, I have been using it for almost 50k with regular change intervals and always thought it was a good oil to use.
My local distributor always has what I need in stock ready to pickup, some of the other synthetic oils are harder to find or the auto parts place is out of stock.

Pete

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Swami, when you say not to use Amsoil ATF, does that mean in any vehicle, or just VW/Audi? I had it put in my Windstar (ok, now I'm embarrased :oops: ) Last Nov when I had the engine replaced.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Bmpassat said:
Will

Good information about Amsoil, I have been using it for almost 50k with regular change intervals and always thought it was a good oil to use.
My local distributor always has what I need in stock ready to pickup, some of the other synthetic oils are harder to find or the auto parts place is out of stock.

Pete
How often do you change your oil with Amsoil? I am thinking about switching to Amsoil from now on and how does the K&N oil filter perform?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I change the Amsoil every 5,000. They say you can run longer, but since we have such a small sump on the 1.8T, I'm not going to risk it. I am also going to be using the bigger NAPA 1333 oil filter.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
ganseg said:
I change the Amsoil every 5,000. They say you can run longer, but since we have such a small sump on the 1.8T, I'm not going to risk it. I am also going to be using the bigger NAPA 1333 oil filter.
Me too on the change interval sometimes it is 6k. I know I know.
Will buy Napa 1333 oil filter for next change. I am doing it in 2 weeks at most.

Pete

1 - 7 of 7 Posts