Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Highlights...

The Speaker of the House is planning to sue the POTUS for overstepping his authority.

A group of Native Americans is planning to sue ($9 billion) the Cleveland Indians baseball team for 100+ years of "disparity, racism, exploitation and profiteering". Watch out Celtics, Fighting Irish and Gamecocks, I may be coming your way.

We are (over)managing and underfunding our schools to the extent that we're reducing the quality of the product and the results - an inferior product - and too many citizens believe that it is the responsibility of the school systems to magically provide a superior product, with or without parental/family involvement.

You can legally drink alcohol, moderately, socially, until you're passed out or dead in all 50 states, but you can only possess and smoke weed legally in a small number of states.

More people in the country probably could tell you what the Kardashian sisters were wearing or not wearing yesterday, than what their spouse or children wore the day before.

Where are we going to be in 20 years? What type of "correction event" will need to occur to change these trends or is this race to the middle or bottom the best we can hope for?

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Isn't marijuana is still against federal law. If so, it's still illegal in all 50 states.

Correction event? I'm thinking a 25+ km asteroid or comet.

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
Schools are underfunded? Compared to when?

If you think an ignorant electorate is new .....well.......

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Isn't marijuana is still against federal law. If so, it's still illegal in all 50 states."
Great point, that's not confusing now is it?

"Schools are underfunded? Compared to when?

If you think an ignorant electorate is new .....well....... "
I guess underfunded in relation to the general structure of their budgets. Staff (unionized) making up a huge portion that at least around here and in many urban areas has been allowed to grow at a faster rate than the supporting tax base.

The electorate being smart/dumb is not as much the issue to me as the weird combination of voter apathy and voter special interests. Hard to knock anyone for their special interests I realize, we all have them I guess, but the lengths that the major parties go to manipulate and exploit them, particularly with media and technology, is the game changer. When special interests have a high and lasting cost, possibly unsustainable, it becomes an issue for me.

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
So then, not underfunded but poor at how they spend it? That is correct I think. They are not underfunded overall as a country.

Yes, people overall are sheep. That's why Bud Light is the number one selling swill.

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,871 Posts
Highlights...

The Speaker of the House is planning to sue the POTUS for overstepping his authority.

A group of Native Americans is planning to sue ($9 billion) the Cleveland Indians baseball team for 100+ years of "disparity, racism, exploitation and profiteering". Watch out Celtics, Fighting Irish and Gamecocks, I may be coming your way.

We are (over)managing and underfunding our schools to the extent that we're reducing the quality of the product and the results - an inferior product - and too many citizens believe that it is the responsibility of the school systems to magically provide a superior product, with or without parental/family involvement.

You can legally drink alcohol, moderately, socially, until you're passed out or dead in all 50 states, but you can only possess and smoke weed legally in a small number of states.

More people in the country probably could tell you what the Kardashian sisters were wearing or not wearing yesterday, than what their spouse or children wore the day before.

Where are we going to be in 20 years? What type of "correction event" will need to occur to change these trends or is this race to the middle or bottom the best we can hope for?
1) Nothing more than a publicity stunt from a guy with a long history of similar behavior. Shocking? I'm not sure...

2) I'm conflicted on this topic, I do feel a bit uncomfortable with some names (i.e. Redskins) Is it worthy of a lawsuit? I can't say as I am not native american, but I can say I think it would not fly if you had a picture of an Asian man with a rice hat on and named your team the "yellow skins", or some other racially biased picture with a stereotypical image for your logo. If I were Indian, I probably wouldn't feel all that great about having that image portrayed of my people, especially when you are talking about a culture/people that are already so small in number stereotyped as it is.

3) Public school funding is such a complicated issue, that I can't really comment on it in any short statement. Suffice to say that nothing is going to change when you have a black and white set of standards you are holding kids to, yet the kids aren't receiving equal opportunities scholastically. Bad home/familial situations aside, look at the schools/teachers in affluent neighborhoods, and contrast that to the staff and materials/facilities of schools in impoverished areas. You can't even begin to tell me that there is an equal opportunity to be had even if the home situation, etc were the same. Some schools are overfunded, but IMO those usually aren't the ones that are failing.

4) I've touched on this a bit before, I don't (and haven't) smoked anything (be it cigs, or otherwise), but I do find it a bit ass backwards that this is still an issue. IMO, the only reason this is even still a conversation piece is the large number of ultra conservative individuals that make up a large percentage of the voting population, combined with the large amount of misinformation provided over the course of 5+ decades by the gov't, health and safety officials, etc. (everything from "reefer madness" to multiple drug "education" programs labeling the big M as a "gateway" drug) IMO, we will see nationwide adoption of legalization within the timeframe of the next decade to decade and a half. The revenue stream is too lucrative, drug war is a failed venture, public opinion is quickly changing on the matter, and as more of generation X & Y become active participating "full fledged" members of society, we are going to see more politicians making waves to please their new constituency.

5) This I can't comment on, sometimes what you are saying seems true, but I don't feel that the amount of people interested in politics has increased or lessened with this generation. An argument could be made that this presidency has caused a lot of disillusionment with the US gov't as a whole by young people, but that is a different topic for a different time...

6) As above, the older generations always see the new generation as being the apocalypse for their nation, styles change, opinions waver, but overall the more things change the more they stay the same. Do you not think that the elders of the 50's, 60's, 70's all said the same thing? "damn whippersnappers with their newfangled rock and roll music, big block engines, and ankle bearing dresses. In my day you rode in the back of a Model T, sang church hymns, and ladies covered their ankles. This generation will all be impregnated, possessed by the devil, or dead within the span of five years"

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
6) As above, the older generations always see the new generation as being the apocalypse for their nation, styles change, opinions waver, but overall the more things change the more they stay the same. Do you not think that the elders of the 50's, 60's, 70's all said the same thing? "damn whippersnappers with their newfangled rock and roll music, big block engines, and ankle bearing dresses. In my day you rode in the back of a Model T, sang church hymns, and ladies covered their ankles. This generation will all be impregnated, possessed by the devil, or dead within the span of five years"
Great points, thanks! On this last one, I've thought about the generational issues alot and I have the benefit of talking every days with my kids - intelligent, thoughtful, good natured citizens who often don't agree with me! Also work at a company where I'm a bit older than most of the staff chronologically and get to interact with folks in all departments - ~120 under 30 years old. Bottom line is while there may be disagreement on some tangential issues, you'd be surprised how similar views are on some of the topics I covered above. By no means does my list capture 100% of our country's character, but on one day, those were some of the highlights I came across during my day and it made me wonder.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts