Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a 2004 GLS, my third in a line. Has any one had a problem with the factury installed radio, using AM? It is only a week old and the AM sucks. We asked the dealer and he said all the VW radio's have bad AM reception. We like the talk shows on AM that do not broadcast in FM. :crazy:

·
Registered
52 Posts
i have the same car but i never have had this problem,. i listen to the major sports AM stations (wfan 660, espn1050) fine the only one that comes in crappy is 1010wins.

maybe try another antenna (like the stubby)?

jayme

·
Registered
23 Posts
i installed an aftermarket radio and lost all am reception. i need to install a 'powered' adapter. there are threads on that, but mostly because of aftermarket radio installs, not sure about the factory reception. i also got satellite radio, so i haven’t been in too much of a hurry to get the am working. there’s a lot of talk on satellite. as a matter of fact, i hardly even listen to fm. try it you’ll like it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
am radio reception

I let my brother in law use my W8 4motion to go skiing , which has a Monsoon with wonderful reception, and in turn drove his Jetta which has the worst AM reception I have ever experienced. It was barely audible and scratchy. I gave him back his Jetta!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I had problems with my AM radio about 7 months ago. Reception sucked and was sometimes non-existent. I was in downtown Columbus so I knew it wasn't because I was out in the middle of nowhere.

Took it to the dealer and it was a major pain in the arse for them to fix. But to their credit, they got on it. My service advisor told me they had to isolate the problem. They pulled down the lining, they had to order parts, they had to replace some of the wiring and retest. They kept the car for a week but they sure did fix it. My reception has been awesome since then.

Given how much labor time and parts ordering hassle it was for them, not to mention the fact that they had to give me a loaner car, I'm not surprised your dealer doesn't wanna deal with it. I'm sure my dealer lost money on this one because VW doesn't reimburse them well for warranty work.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just bought a 2000 GLS with Monsoon and my AM reception is superior to my previous vehicles. I also pick up more FM stations than ever before in this car. :wink:

·
Registered
277 Posts
I agree w/ the majority. Have and aftermarket head unit and AM is non existant....I am gonna pull it and try to see if the antenna power boster is intact or was dropped at the install.

I rarely listen to FM other than NPR and a small non-affiliated comunity station, KDHX). If I want good music I'll pop in a CD... 8)

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
The AM works great on mine. 1050 espn and 770 abc come in great 30 miles north of their antenna. 880 comes in great too. Need my sports and traffic info.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
The antenna on the Pasast is in 3 pieces, well, it was on mY99 cars. And, as VeeDubb has noticed, causes them some real challenges to fix. If you take it in, you might let the SW know this fact and have them order all three parts beforehand if it applies to your ride. I had like 5 trips in for this issue with my Passat, and it got ugly at the end, they never really did fix the problem, and I ended up getting a Blaupunkt in dash CD unit which worked like a champ. It had that powered adaptor as well.

I had hoped they would change that design by now, maybe they didn't? The 3 part setup was not their best design, but it had something do to with some issue in Emden when they are welding the body together. A single piece cable, which is preferable would not be threadable throught the roof of the car after production, but could not be put in beforehand due to heat. I still do not understand how this was the case, but a couple different reps have had similar stories. I have never seen a car, even our Delorean, that did not have room in the roof for a simple coax cable. The cable runs from the roof down the passenger side B-pillar, along the door bottom and over the glovebox.

I never understood it at the time, but in the end, they ran down to NAPA and got an aftermarket antenna for my car and stuck that in. It ran across the roof to the driver's A-pillar, with a loop stuffed behind the radio. Even then the reception was not so hot with the OEM unit, but better then before.

HTH,
Mark

·
Registered
52 Posts
Guyute said:
The AM works great on mine. 1050 espn and 770 abc come in great 30 miles north of their antenna. 880 comes in great too. Need my sports and traffic info.
gotta listen to the devils (770) - yankees (880), nice.

also if you havent heard, rangers\knicks are moving to espn radio 1050 and devils\nets are moving to wfan 660

jayme

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a similar a problem on my 04. I don't think it was a reception problem because the stations came in but the voices had a fuzzy quality to them. Dealer replaced the unit but I wasn't happy with it. The on/off and scan buttons were very loud when pressed and it wasn't much better than the first one. I didn't like that. He replaced it again and the third one is fine. They brought out all the replacement radios and let me choose the one I liked.

Just some information. If they replace the unit it will be a reconditioned one. The one in my car now is slightly different. The tape door says Volkswagen instead of Monsoon and the words Bass Mid etc do not light up. Other 04's I've seen do this. I mentioned this to them but they had no way of getting this radio. It is exactly the same in all other ways including the part number. Since the AM sound is much better I am not going to make an issue of it.

I don't know the manufacturer of my first two radios but the one in the car now is a Panasonic and the AM sound is good.

If you have your radio replaced it should come with a new radio code that you peel off and place over the old code on the little radio code card that came with your car.

Hope this helps.

BTW, this is my third Passat also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks people, that was a lot of good info. I'll try to use that at the dealers, when I take it back.

I am also wrighting to VW home port and let them know I am not advertizing there product, till I am happy camper. :evil:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts