Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the process of changing my coolant temp sender and I was checking the color to see what part I had to order. As I was putting it back I burned my hand on the engine and dropped the reataining ring into the dark abyss that is my engine compartment. It didn't fall all the way through and I can't find it. If I try to drive will the force of the coolant pop the sensor out and send coolant spraying all about my engine compartment or will the sender be able to hold its own against the coolant pressure?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I would not risk it :nervous: get a new retention ring. It will be less for the part then to clean your engine or the other possible dammage you could do.

Best of luck

·
Registered
926 Posts
I would not risk driving the car without the clip in place. If possible, I'd get a ride to a dealership and buy a new clip.

If you had to do something as a temporary fix you may be able to wrap soft copper wire around the sensor port neck, make sure it drops into the two slots for the retaining clip, then twist the wire until it is tight (A nylon wire tie may also work). It will be hard to do in the confines of the engine bay, but it is something that you could try. Give the sensor a tug to be sure the wire is retaining it in place before you drive the car.

I dropped my clip into the engine bay once. It took a while working with a flashlight, but I eventually spotted it and was able to retrieve it with a long stick and a wad of masking tape.

Good luck.

·
Registered
258 Posts
For future use, invest in a mechanics magnet. There cheep and will be worth their weight in gold.

I drop things all the time and would not dream of wrenching with out one. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
it wont work the clip is plastic

there like 75 cents at teh dealer get a buddy to drive you down and get 2 and some string thats what i had to do

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice but I learned the hard way. I had to go to work and I drove about a mile before I had to stop at a gas station and refill the coolant resvoir with water because it was leaking like a broken water main. I'm keeping it in the driveway for the next couple days because the dealership is like 40 minutes away and I'll get someone to take me this weekend. In the meantime I guess that I'll get into shape and shake the dust off my bike. :p

·
Registered
543 Posts
40 miles away sound like one day with the US Mail. I would just call the dealer and give them a CC and have them put them in the mail to you tomorrow and you should have them on Friday and save yourself a trip for 70c postage.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Billiam369 said:
Thanks for the advice but I learned the hard way.
<SNIP>
I had to stop at a gas station and refill the coolant resvoir with water
<SNIP>
the dealership is like 40 minutes away and I'll get someone to take me this weekend.
When you replace the water with actual coolant, please do NOT use the green stuff. You need G12 coolant, and that almost certainly is not available at your local parts store, so grit your teeth and buy that at the dealer while you are there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.