Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I brought my '03 Passat in to Riverhead Bay Motors VW in New York for it's 5K service today. The total bill was $67.00. Now I know I just paid 67 bucks for an oil change, with nothing else being done. But I can live with that. So I call toward the end of the day and they told me it was done. They close at 5pm, and I tell them I can't be there in time, but I ask if they will accept payment via credit card so that I can pick it up after hours. They promptly tell me that they cannot accept payment over the phone, and that I can pick it up the next day. I explain that I need the car that evening, and ask if they would reconsider accepting my credit card. But, no deal. We can buy cars via credit card over the internet, but I can't pay under $100 for service from the place I purchased my car with my credit card. So like I said, I know I've paid a premium for my oil change (the so called 5K service), and I've also been inconvenienced.

Am I asking too much of my dealer? Or is this what I should expect from VW Service?

J

· Registered
283 Posts
That's pathetic on VWs part. May want to consider talking to the service manager at that location or contacting VWoA and reporting how inconvenienced you were as a result of their unwillingness to work with you. Customer "service" like that is a big reason that VW has such a bad reputation for post-sales support.

You may also want to try another dealer in your area for future maintenance :/ Good luck!

· Lisa Simpson
12,638 Posts
No way! That was rude!

Every dealer I have ever dealt with has accepted CCs over the phone. Some were reluctant to leave the keys in the car for me, but that was ok. Worst case, I had to go get the key at a convenient time. Most were perfectly willing to take my money and leave the keys under the driver's mat, locking the car from by closing the driver's door, setting the alarm, and leaving via the passenger door. This is about the only way to lock the keys in any VW.

· Registered
1,678 Posts
There are always exceptions, but generally this is what you can expect. On this issue, most dealers accept payment over the phone and stay open late for people who work for a living to pay their exorbitant fees.

· Registered
5,291 Posts
Are you asking too much ?? Yes & no... No flames please, I'll explain. NO - it's not a lot to ask of them. It would be convenient for you, the customer, who is always right (except in my office :wink: )
YES - With the amount of credit card fraud, identity theft, etc nowadays, lots of businesses do not want to take a chance. I do it with Benz owners that I have a history of dealings with but even that's not safe as I've had 4 cars repossessed right from my service lot over the last several months.

· Registered
283 Posts
VWGUY4EVER said:
Are you asking too much ?? Yes & no... YES - With the amount of credit card fraud, identity theft, etc nowadays, lots of businesses do not want to take a chance.
I totally agree with what you said VWGUY. From my point of view the CC issue is somewhat a side issue as VW can always bill you after the fact. But to not make it convenient for the customer to pick up a car entrusted to them? Hrm. That just doesn't sit right with me at all. They should go beyond what is asked in order to make sure someone gets their wheels back when it's convenient for *them*, not necessarily VW. I don't think that's asking too much at all. (again, in no way disagreeing with VWGUY. At least that I can tell haha :) )

· Registered
295 Posts
Donaldsons VW in Sayville has pick-up untill 7pm. Don't know about the credit card, a free oil change @ 5k and one warrenty item the bills have been $0.

· 4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,736 Posts
I can understand the not staying open late for pickup but that can be worked around by leaving the car out in the lot locked for you. But the credit card thing is a piss off. I can see if your a total stranger wanting to do this or buy stuff over the ph with a credit card but your an established customer. I deal with 2 dealers here , one that sold me the car , one that lost the deal. Both I have done transactions with over the phone and bought with a credit card and not a problem. I think your dealer as far as credit card payment goes needs to have rules yes, but also a little flexibility in them to accomodate a current and possibly future car sales customer.

· Registered
7 Posts
67 bucks? that's some expensive oil...

Yikes! $67 sounds very steep for an oil change. Is that all they did? An oil change? Over here it's only $21 for an oil change. I've just scheduled my first 5000 mile oil change next week and that's what they quoted me from the VW dealership. I guess the price for an oil change varies.

· Registered
6,614 Posts
My business does not accept CC payments over the phone, for security issues. Its possible this dealership has had some problems in the past. Either way, you should respect the fact that they dont take CC payments over the phone, no matter what the reason is, and deal with it.

They can take CC over the internet due to having a secure server. It may be a huge inconveniance for you, but its only done to protect their customers.

Next time wait for your car, if an oil change is all you're getting done.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Next time wait for your car, if an oil change is all you're getting done
Actually, it was a 5K service. But we all know that this service is nothing more than a glamorized oil change. I appreciate your point of view, but sometimes the scheduling of service won't allow the customer to wait for their car. I had to wait 3 weeks for this appointment, and I work on weekdays. In reality, if I knew this would be the case, I would have worked something out for payment in advance with them. Hey, you live and you learn.

I just got in on the group buy and bought a mightvac 7201. I bought some Mobil 1 and ordered a few Mann filters. I'll do the next few oil changes myself.

J

· Registered
3,528 Posts
Aren't the dealerships open til 8 or 9pm? I know the service dept. closes, but why can't sales take the payment :???:

Why can't the dealership bill you? Or better yet, have a drop off area for checks. Either way, they could of easily let you take the car and you could use your spare key to pick it up when you were able to. I would flip if I couldn't get my car. I would have a family member come get it if they told me they won't be open :crazy:

They should make it clear that you have to be there before they close, otherwise you would have to get it the next day, so you can make arrangements.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aren't the dealerships open til 8 or 9pm? I know the service dept. closes, but why can't sales take the payment
This dealer (sales area) was open to 8pm on Thursday, but only 6pm on Friday. I work 65 miles from the dealer (which is about 8 miles from where I live). So getting to the dealer by 6pm was impossible on a Friday evening when everyone from Manhattan is on the expressway going to the Hamptons for one last Summer weekend.

J

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.