Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm considering buying a 3rd Passat, a 2005 GLS 4mo wagon. Here's the catch. The car was flooded a bit (fresh water); not in Louisiana, but Jersey. Supposedly it was just flooded up to the door sills. It was written off by the dealer and ended up at a salvage yard. I can get a spectacular deal on this car.

There's a few hitches of course. I have to change insurance companies as my agent refuses to insure the car. Also, even though the car has less than 200 miles, VW will not honor the warranty. They will still honor the emmissions warranty as well as recalls. The yard is giving me a 30 day warranty.

Aside from having to eat the expense of any parts that fail early, what are the other risks? CCMs usually goes pretty quickly with water damage, right? I've heard that VW engines don't like to aspirate water- causes bent rods. I'd be able to pick up on this pretty quickly, right?

I'm trying to justify buying this. What I figure is that even if I sink another 3 or 4 grand into it, I'm still ahead.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't settled on a price yet, but less than $17,500 should do it. It's nice. Has the leather/wood package that comes with the GLX. I'd buy one of those if VW offered it with a 1.8T.

BTW- I think I'm going to make this a poll.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know how to create a poll? Please PM me. I looked in the FAQ and it says it will be an option when starting a new thread, but I can't find it.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I wouldn't buy this car for any more than $5,000. In my honest opinion you would be completely OUT OF YOUR MIND in even considering this car. VW won't warranty for a reason. It has been damaged and they won't take on the responsibilty of repairing it when it requires work. Also, water (fresh or salt) cause havoc on electrical systems. You may not be able to see the damage, most likely there is some. Flooded up to the door sills? I would say that is almost certainly a lie. Water to the sills would not cause the car to be deemed a total loss. It may appear to be in good shape, but don't be fooled. Don't buy it!!!

·
Registered
752 Posts
I would not do it for that price...

Considering all the problems you could have and the non-warranty and insurance issues, you are taking a large risk. If you end up thinking it is out of your league and you want to unload it then you will need to disclose the damage history, good luck selling it. It isn't worth more then scrap value, aka part it out, but actually less since the car is still complete. $17,000 is crazy to pay for that, more like $6k is what it might be worth... Just like most any other totaled passat.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I've seen plenty posts here on the board of dealerships offering any leftover B5.5 Passats for $17,900 or similar.

I think I'd pay $5,000 for the car you mentioned, with all the risks of flood damage, lack of factory warranty, etc etc. No way would I pay $17k for it.

Ben

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Call these guys up and talk to them about flood cars in general and this car in particular. I know several people who have purchased multiple vehicles from them and have had no problems. Autobargains list their flood vehicles for about kbb's trade-in value (good condition). These people have also been able to get at least another 5 % off for a cash deal. IMO, autobargains would list a fully reconditoned 2005 GLS 4mo wagon for about $17,900 which means you could probably get it for $16,500 or less from them with at least a 6 month 100% warranty. I would find out what the salvage yard did, if anything, to recondition the car and if nothing than back off your 3 to 4 grand for possible repairs and offer maybe $14,000. I would try to get a longer warranty if you are going to pay more than $14,000. Also IMO, you have to plan on keeping the car virtually forever because the resale value will be extremely low with a salvaged / flood title. Its risk vs reward. It could be the worst or best buy you have ever made.

http://www.autobargains.ws/

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
um, with as much electrical $hit that's in these cars I would run away quick. Electrical problems are THE HARDEST to figure out, diagnose, and repair.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Avoid it like the plague, which the car may very well have under the floor boards. For all you know, the car could have been flooded in Alaska and brought to NJ to clear the title. In my mind, "flooded up to the doorsills" means "shit, we couldn't clean this car well enough to completely clear the title, so we'll just get a salvage title and say it only went up to the doorsills." The thing could have been at the bottom of a lake for all you know.

Plus, the financial reasoning makes no sense. $17K + $3-4K in immediate repairs = $20-21K...for a car that 99% of car buyers wouldn't even look at. As soon as you buy it, you're looking at an instant 70-80% depreciation. The car has no value as it is right now, so $17K is an INSANE price for that car. Dude, MAYBE for $5K it would be a deal, but no way at $17K. Do yourself a HUGE favor and AVOID THE CAR. I'm sure there are used 2005 Passats out there for $20-21K that will make you much happier.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Wait for a good deal like 5-6k off the retail price. I got mine for $7500 and its worth around $13k I havent had any problem, did a car fax and it was flooding in fresh water so i snatched the car and its been fine since september. 02 V6 5speed Wagon.:thumbup:

·
Registered
331 Posts
I don't think you'll find any insurance company to insure it. I would be a nervous wreck on the roads looking for the car/bad driver that's gonna take $17,000 out of my wallet. Also if they crash into your car, will their insurance only pay for the salvaged price???, not the 17,000. I see these kinds of sales and I think the unwitting public drive up the prices to crazy heights so they expect to get money like 17,000. They'll laugh in your face if you offer below 10,000. WTF, are these dealers high on crack? It should at least be half of KBB (which is a big scam anyway, I always go with Edmunds.com). At least at 5000-6000, it can be parted out and you could get something back if something goes wrong. That's if it runs perfectly until the day something "bad" happens. Good luck either way.
Clyde

1 - 20 of 36 Posts