Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that the cabin of an A6 is substantially different than the Passat cabin, unlike the engine compartment--but the folks on the Audi forum have not been very friendly and I'm hoping someone here also works on older Audis.

I have run the codes for the HVAC system and everything checks ok.

When I turn off the AC (Econ mode on) and leave the temperature on LO, I get warm or HOT air. Even if the ambient temperature is 65-70F. Previous experience with this car is that LO on Econ mode = ambient air. I've been assuming it was just hot because the dashboard was hot or I was getting heat from the engine bay. It's hot in the evening if the engine is at temperature and only cool if the engine hasn't warmed up yet. (The engine is slow to reach temperature and it has about 2500 miles on a new thermostat and water pump.)

When I set the AC to LO, I get moderately cool air, particularly if the engine hasn't heated up yet.

When I recirculate the AC, it gets fairly cool. When I turn off the AC (Econ mode), all the humidity dumps into the cabin. I probably need to clean the condensation drain valve.

I did the HVAC reset procedure and a flap/door/motor or something behind the radio makes a grunting noise. It seems to have settled into a slightly less hot air position but still isn't right. Any ideas for what I can do once I deliver the client's project next Monday and move my art studio Wednesday?

I AM NOT GETTING ANY CODES, have checked multiple times. I am on a client deadline and can't take the car out of service for a week to get a shop to check the refrigerant or I will miss their deadline and probably lose that client. I'm not going to break down on Hwy 17, wreck the engine, or ruin the cats if I keep driving it with improper cabin air temperature control.

·
Registered
7,851 Posts
No you won't damage / ruin anything engine wise. Worst case scenario you'll be uncomfortable.

I've only had varying degrees of success diagnosing the Climatronic system.
Reaching through the inlet with cabin filter removed, on my wife's car the flap somehow got slightly crooked and was stuck in the wide-open position. After some gentle fiddling around I got it back into position and that improved things tremendously. If I'm correct, there's a mix valve / flap, I know other members have had to change the servo motor to get things working properly. But the fact you're not getting any codes would lead me to believe that servos are working properly.
Hopefully someone with more extensive knowledge of the system can chime in.

Reactions: VAGguy and KHedges

·
Registered
7,851 Posts
Someone on the Audi forum told me to get the HVAC checked out tomorrow and never mind the deadline. Then said something rude.
Those people over there are just a bunch of pretentious jerks.
There are plenty members here that have Audi experience that relates to the B5 / B5.5 platform.
I'm guessing @VAGguy would know the answer to this.

Reactions: KHedges

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,213 Posts
Those people over there are just a bunch of pretentious jerks.
There are plenty members here that have Audi experience that relates to the B5 / B5.5 platform.
I'm guessing @VAGguy would know the answer to this.
I, unfortunately, do not have much experience with auto HVAC relating to the in-dash portion on ours or Audis. Sorry.

·
Registered
29,065 Posts
The air would be slightly above ambient whenever I drove my son's car with Climatronic. I would just flip it to recirc and then turn it off.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The air would be slightly above ambient whenever I drove my son's car with Climatronic. I would just flip it to recirc and then turn it off.
OK, it seems there's a consensus that Climatronic is always going to warm the air perceptibly over ambient. Seems the current flap/door position is probably nominal for LO but it was previously was stuck on full HOT (while displaying LO or some Auto temperature).

I'm still leaving it on LO until I have time to mess around with it. I think the drain is probably higher priority because I don't want it to back up and flood the electronics module in that footwell.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts