Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Alternator Workshop" error message & battery light w/ alarm

I posted this a while back and nobody knew what it was, so I'll try again. My 2000 GLX is intermittently throwing an Alternator Workshop message on the readout while flashing the battery light and making a very annoying alarming beeping. I've had it in and out of the dealership since Halloween and they don't know what is wrong with it. The only thing they've replaced is the alternator (two times). Everything tests ok, like charging system, battery, loose connections, etc. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to when this happens, like if all the accessories are on or not. So, if anyone has seen this, or knows of what I could try and do to get this to stop, I would GREATY appreciate it.

Thanks

J

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a vague idea, just something to consider...
Does anyone know where the voltage regulator is on B5/B5.5?
You know, thing that directs power source (from batt. /from alternator)
If it's part of alternator it's definately been taken care of, but maybe it part of the ECU now? Otherwise it's sound like a loose wire somewhere. It's a PITA, since intermittant problems are hard to trace, diag. probably shows no useable info as well :???:

·
Registered
697 Posts
When looking for an intermittent electrical issue remember the Three C's:
Corrosion, Connections, Crimps. Look for issues in that order on and around the alternator and the ancilary equipment it connects to. Clean any corrosion with backing powder paste or a commecial product, back off and retighten any connections (e.g. remove, clean and retighted battery posts) and follow wiring so see if you have any moisture or marginal crimps anywhere. Also consider any work you might have done just prior to the issue that you may dissmiss as unrelated (e.g. I lost boost after changing the air filter, as I has pulled a wire from one of the plugs on the airbox by stressing it.)
I do not have any specific suggestions but this procedure usually helps be find 90% of my electrical problems (Have a 25+ year old VW Rabbit that loves to test me on my elec skills)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts