Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced the alternator in my B5 V6 last week, oh what a fun job that was. All was perfect until yesterday. Let the husband drive the car as I had to go get the tabs for his. Got the dreaded "alternator workshop, beep beep beep, flashing battery light" phone call. Rushed home. Have been checking the alt periodically over the last week to make sure the volts are good, yesterday was posting 12.05 running again. Checked all connections, found the thick black wire on the back of the alternator to be a little loose. Tightened it up, voila! Running well again. Turned off the car, took it down, double checked the connection (wiggled it a bit, got the wrench in there for one more turn). Started him up again, and battery light is BACK on with the Alt Workshop. And there are some new issues: slight grinding/rattling noise coming from the alternator; and when I rev it up to 4000, the volts do not drop but they DO go up to 14 when I let go of the gas, then drop back down to 12+/-. .

So I'm thinking it's one of these: 1) dead alternator (it is a reman from AZ, go figure); 2) loose belt (printing on belt is almost pristine, and it feels tight to me); 3) bad tensioner; or 4) bad pulley on alternator. The noisiness leads me more towards the pulley or the alternator; the reman did not come with a new pulley so had to pull the one off the old alternator. Of course I could be going in the complete wrong direction, but that's why I'm here! Have gotten a lot of good information here so far, hoping for more. Thank you!!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
May not be related, but just went through the fuse box and #34 (engine control 15a) had blown. What could cause that?
Not likely to be related, but you might have damaged some wiring when replacing the alternator.

Maybe it was just time to go, or something connected to it has shorted, this includes some solenoid valves and the O2 sensors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.