Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Passat V6 GLS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
‘03 GLS V6
Replaced ‘bad’ battery but next day new one was dead. Alternator tested 0V output at the shop. Fix it myself. Put the front end in service mode.

Pigtail for the alternator is gone, single blue wire hanging down beside the alternator. Well no wonder it was 0V output.

Can’t find any wiring diagrams online for it but all of the pigtails for all VWAGs from that era use the same one it seems.

Presume 2nd wire I can’t see is up inside plastic wire sheath that the blue wire is sticking out of but nope, just that blue wire is in there when I sliced it open.

So now what? Anyone have any guess if this blue wire is the correct one to the alternator pigtail? Is there a 2nd wire that’s supposed to go to the pigtail? My ‘03 Bug has 2 wires on its alt pigtail.

Any assist is most appreciated. Gotta get this car back together. Thank ya folks.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,595 Posts
It’s only one wire. There is no second wire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tomvw

·
Registered
2003 Passat V6 GLS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s only one wire. There is no second wire

So if all of the pigtails on all VWAG cars from around that time have two wires, and even my '03 Bug has two wires coming from it's alternator pigtail going 'somewhere', why does my Passat's pigtail have two wires?

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,595 Posts
Does it? Or does the proposed replacement pigtail have two wires? I couldn’t tell you why other VWs have two, just that ours has only one.
Per the Bentley (and my own car) it has one blue wire in that plug. The only other wire connected to the alternator is the battery cable.

The suggested threads at the bottom of the page help too

Reactions: SaskB5Variant
1 - 4 of 4 Posts