Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at some of the Alpine recievers since it appears that the have the most options out there (iPod interface, choice of Sattelite radio provider, etc).

In some online ads for the CDA-9833, they talk about having a button color choice out of 512 possible settings. Has anyone seen this work? Can you get something close to the blue or red on our instrument consoles?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looked at this myself the other day on the Alpine website and according to them it should be possible, with some patience, to adjust the colour to match any car interior by first picking a base colour and then fine tuning it to a perfect match.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have the 9833. the preset red and blue is pretty close to the Passat colors. Note that the other illumination (radio presets and everything else besides the 4 main buttons) only have options for green or amber. The amber is near red, but different enough that you'd probably notice.
I change my main button colors all the time, just to have a change. I thought before I bought it that I would try and keep it exact a match as possible, but it's kind of cool to change to other colors. Besides using the knob to change colors, you can use buttons to move the number by 50 each time.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks martyk_1,

Do you recommend the unit? I think combined with the iPod and the Sat Radio (going for Sirius because of NFL and Howard) it would make an awesome system.

Also, did you already have the Monsoon system and use that amp or did you do a virgin install?

Thanks again,

Art

·
Registered
139 Posts
artinnj said:
Thanks martyk_1,

Do you recommend the unit? I think combined with the iPod and the Sat Radio (going for Sirius because of NFL and Howard) it would make an awesome system.

Also, did you already have the Monsoon system and use that amp or did you do a virgin install?

Thanks again,

Art
I'd reccomend it, although I'm not the greatest audiophile. But it sounds fine to me, and it can play plenty loud. I'm also planning on getting the ipod adapter, which is the main reason I went with Alpine. I just swapped my stock radio/changer combo for the 9833, using the supplied adapter. So I'm still using the other stock parts (I don't believe '98's had the monsoon setup, tho)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I have the CDA-9835 (the model above the 9833 because it has the BioLite Display). I highly suggest spending the extra $50 or so and getting the 9835. The BioLite display is awesome! And it also has the 512 colour buttons like the 9833. Yes, you can colour match quite closely. I am going to take a picture of my stereo at night sometime and I will try to post a pic this weekend :)

Regards,
Bryan

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
baisee00 said:
i reallly wanted the cda 9835 but then I decided to get something else..... but by looking on the site and stuff, the 9835 looks rad!
What did you end up getting instead? The 9835 really is a nice deck :)

Bryan

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
the 9835 also had some more eq settings and such, if thats important to you.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just installed the 9833 with an 634S changer. The thing that sucks with the color matching is only the four big buttons are able to match the stock lighting exactly. It's definately a sound improvement over stock and being able to play MP3s again is nice. Now I just need to get some real speakers and an amp installed.
Pros-
Able to adjust most of illumination
Able to turn off the PowerIC when using external amp
Able to turn off the large display on the face
Interfaces with Nokia phones and every Alpine accessory

Cons-
Not user friendly for entering Xover, Time Correction, EQ data
I-personalize download is not "preloaded" for your car type(you basically are just entering all the same info on the website as you would into the deck manually).

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I did not think there were that many choices on I personalize, i was hoping that you could do the colors on there, that would make it real fast.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.