Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for an inexpensive XM radio. My local install shop has the Alpine CDA 9820XM for $249.00. It has the built in XM tuner. As a matter of fact, it was the FIRST radio with it built in from what I've read. Which makes me hesitant to get it since it's an old model. I see it online for about the same price. It's about $60 for the install. Is it worth the money for an older model XM radio?

A newer model Alpine is $199 and I need to pay $130 for the interface and receiver which is seperate from the radio, but installed behind it in the dash. Not to mention 2 hrs labor @ $60/hr.

I don't understand why all radios don't have it built in now and days :confused:

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow, I see this forum gets a lot of action :confused:

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
sat radio means it still needs the receiver. only the 9820XM has it built in. being an onlder model isn't a big deal, just low ball them on the price for the age.

·
Fore!
1,565 Posts
After buying 2 satellite radios i learned a few things:

Check the alpine to see how many characters the display will show for the satellite radio. I bought my wife a CDA 9857 with add on sirius but it only displays 14 characters of the sirius info which is annoying. My kenwood EZ900HDS with built in sirius shows all the characters of the info. The downside is it only has a 1 line display. The CDA9857 has a 2 line display which is way better.

I didn't realize before I bought a satellite radio how much I would want to look at the different info lines, but I now find myself constantly scrolling through the different lines on my kenwoods 1 line display, which requires pushing a button on the HU over and over. Just something to keep in mind when you are looking at your options.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sat radio means it still needs the receiver. only the 9820XM has it built in. being an onlder model isn't a big deal, just low ball them on the price for the age.
I like the fact that the receiver is built in. It makes me wonder why more radios aren't like this. Maybe because the installers make more money installing seperate ones? I would certainly try to bargain. From the looks of the box, it seems like the radio has been around a while. I would guess it was returned at some point :confused:

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 9856 that says it Sat radio ready and come with ipod cable, let me know if you are interested.
Is the radio new? Not that it matters much. I guess sat ready vs. built in is similar to HD ready and HD built in.

Thanks, I'll take a look at the model online to see if it's something I would like.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After buying 2 satellite radios i learned a few things:

Check the alpine to see how many characters the display will show for the satellite radio. I bought my wife a CDA 9857 with add on sirius but it only displays 14 characters of the sirius info which is annoying. My kenwood EZ900HDS with built in sirius shows all the characters of the info. The downside is it only has a 1 line display. The CDA9857 has a 2 line display which is way better.

I didn't realize before I bought a satellite radio how much I would want to look at the different info lines, but I now find myself constantly scrolling through the different lines on my kenwoods 1 line display, which requires pushing a button on the HU over and over. Just something to keep in mind when you are looking at your options.
The external Delphi receiver has several lines of display which is a bonus. I would assume that as you get familiar with what channels you prefer, that it isn't as big a deal to see 1 or 2 lines, but then again, I haven't had to deal with only 1 line. Something to consider. Thanks for the info :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts