Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had any experience with one of these? My uncle just picked one up today and I was just wondering. I had never heard of it before. All I found out was it was a bmw z8... but better.

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
Your uncle is officially my hero. The Alpina Roadster is absolutely gorgeous. There were only 555 built with 375Hp, 0-60 in 5.3 sec.

I love that thing! :bow:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jeez 140k!? That's more than I thought. I got two calls today: one from my aunt saying that he was test driving it, and the next to say he bought it. I can't wait to drive it. Only 2 more weeks!

·
Registered
709 Posts
hell yeah, those things are bad ass. I remember when they first came out as the Z8. They had used one in a Bond movie and I remember seeing the Z8's on ebay right after the film came out selling for like $750,000 when they were ultra rare

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
Nu Mu 356 said:
...when they were ultra rare
They've never stopped being ultra rare. Very few were ever built and production has finished. Only about 5700 Z8's were built and as I mentioned before 555 of those went to Alpina.

It's truely a collectors car.

BTW, wst, are you sure your Uncle didn't get the other Alpina Roadster? The Radster S is based on the Z4 and is just starting it's production run for Alpina.

The Alpina Roadster S:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm positive. They told me the exact numbers on the car. It's black exterior and red interior.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow, I guess my uncle got a deal. He said he paid under 140 when I talked to him last.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
There's a guy in his 50's that I see almost every week either on the way to work or back home. Once in a while, he'll go for quick spurts and I just drool and listen to the rumble. Very sexy car IMO.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I would gladly pay 120k, and prolly will in the future for a Z8. Never will I buy an Alpina as you can only get them in auto, what a waste.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
The limited edition Alpina Z8 was made to commemorate the final production year of the Z8. Which will make this a very special collector's car for any bimmer fan.
Interesting enough the Z8 Alpina has a little power from the stock Z8, from what I've read in magazines when it first came out.

As beautiful as the Z8 is, I'd rather take the Mercedes AMG SL55 -- little more creature comforts and road presence, IMO.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, there are other things I would have considered. I'm kinda suprised he did it actually. He was looking at an e class wagon when he saw it. It was kind of an impulse. I think he ruled the sl55 out because he just bought a cl500 and just sold a clk430. His last everyday car was a jeep grand cherokee. I think he'll notice a bit of difference. The alpina has about 15 less hp than the regular z8 but reaches peak hp at a lower rpm, so it has more torque. It is all made to benefit the auto transmition. A manual would be nice, but for him i think the auto was a plus.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
9 Participants
atomicalex
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing