Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was charged almost $1000 to replace the alternator and a belt (related to alternator)...

Originally they gave me a quote for $700 ($379 for a refurbish alternator, others for labor). But they just called me says that they need to replace the belt also, and it involve tearing down the whole front part of my Passat, which count 3.5 more hours job.

Is that usual? Am I robbed.?!

It's a 2001 Passat B5 (not B5.5)....

I really regret that I got it.....it's a nice car... but the maintenance just freaking expensive.

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
if its a v6 then tell them to do the timing belt/waterpump one time while they have the front end off... bite the bullet and cough up the $1400 for the whole job... CHARGE IT !
was it the VW STEALERSHIP?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IT's a V6... yeah >.<

and no it's not VW dealer... we don't even have that in town. (I bought the car before I moved here)

I ain't gonna change the timeing belt... I'll just sell it after this change *sigh* Should have done that earlier.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Are you sure they didn't replace the timing belt. That's about the labor hours for that. It's no more than a 15 minute job to change the accessory belt. On my 2000 V6, when my ribbed (accessory) belt tensioner went, I replaced the tensioner and belt in about 20 minutes from the top. If your not changing the tensioner its a 10 minute job. Put a wrench on the tensioner hex bolt and swing tensioner so that tensioner can be locked with pin. Remove old belt and install new. Put wrench back on hex bolt and move tensioner so the pin can be pulled out and release tensioner on to belt. Done. I'd go back and demand 3 hours of labor $ back if they charged you 3.5 hours for replacing the accessory belt.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I can't confirm this because I haven't done it myself, but my rough understanding is this:

Officially, the whole nose has to be taken off the car to make enough room to remove the bolt that secures the alternator (otherwise, the bolt only backs out only just far enough to bump into the radiator).

Unofficially, a creative mechanic can work around this problem by sawing the bolt head off, and when re-installing the alternator, putting the (new) bolt in backwards, so the bolt head is facing toward the rear of the car and the bolt can be removed from that direction.

Can anyone confirm this, or is it just urban legend?

·
Registered
28,622 Posts
I can't confirm this because I haven't done it myself, but my rough understanding is this:

Officially, the whole nose has to be taken off the car to make enough room to remove the bolt that secures the alternator (otherwise, the bolt only backs out only just far enough to bump into the radiator).

Unofficially, a creative mechanic can work around this problem by sawing the bolt head off, and when re-installing the alternator, putting the (new) bolt in backwards, so the bolt head is facing toward the rear of the car and the bolt can be removed from that direction.

Can anyone confirm this, or is it just urban legend?
For the V6, the front has to be placed in the service position. It sounds like the original shop did not know this and upped the price once they figured it out. For the 1.8T, you can saw the bolt.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
For the V6, the front has to be placed in the service position. It sounds like the original shop did not know this and upped the price once they figured it out. For the 1.8T, you can saw the bolt.
Wow. I gotta remember that trick if I ever need to replace my alternator. Is the bolt hole on the alternator tapped so the bolt can hold onto it from the back side of the mount point, or do I need to add a nut for the bolt to grab on to?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts