Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got 2 new tires about a month ago. Had front whell allignment done. Getting 2 more new tires. Does passat need just a front wheel alignment or all wheel alignment?
TIA

·
Registered
27,106 Posts
If it's FWD, the front needs to be aligned. The rear is not adjustable by most shops, but that does not mean it is always good. Even when they do a FWD alignment, the rears are checked.
If it's 4Mo, then all 4 are adjustable and should be done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's FWD, the front needs to be aligned. The rear is not adjustable by most shops, but that does not mean it is always good. Even when they do a FWD alignment, the rears are checked.
If it's 4Mo, then all 4 are adjustable and should be done.
What is a 4mo?

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,193 Posts
4motion. What VW calls their AWD system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,193 Posts
It's FWD. No AWD passats were offered after the B6 in the US. If it were 4mo, it would have "4 motion" badging and a driveshaft going from front to back underneath to the rear axle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again. That confirms what I thought I understood from what I read online. I was looking for the info to help guide my son (19yo) regarding the alignment. He just left to get the 2 tires and alignment. Guy at the tire place said he needed 4 wheel alignment but based on what you have advised and from what I read, only a front wheel is needed. Sent my son on his way and told hom to just get the front wheel alignment. No need to spend his hard earned money foolishly

·
Registered
27,106 Posts
I don't know enough about the later models rear suspension, so I can't say for certain there are no adjustments. I was speaking about the B5 models (98-05). If the rear is a twist beam, (1 pc across), it's not adjustable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts