Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
all indicators not working in my b5, tried to dug in to ccm but cant really take it out - barely can touch the box as other car parts are on the way, but it seemed its quite dry there, as my presumption was that it was water. Fuse that is prescribed for indicators shows no circuit connectivity - I checked that with digital multimeter.

·
2004 B5.5 Variant 1.8T
23,717 Posts
Check your hazard switch and the power going to it. The indicators/flashers/turn signals all run through that switch. Cheap to buy new or grab another from a breaker yard.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I agree with VAGuy. I had the same issue after my hazard switch let out the magic smoke. Now I grab one out of every Passat I pull parts from at the junkyard. just in case. I think I have 3 at home if you are in the US and need one. I'll be happy to send it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank You for the advice, tips and offers! I already replaced that switch(got one in local scrap yard), and problem is mostly fixed - indicators work, only ting is that one side is flashing like twice as fast - and I remember that it was the issue before they all went, so probably there's some problem here maybe in wiring or something else that causes this and if I don't fix it - most likely switch will let out the magic smoke again...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thank You for the advice, tips and offers! I already replaced that switch(got one in local scrap yard), and problem is mostly fixed - indicators work, only ting is that one side is flashing like twice as fast - and I remember that it was the issue before they all went, so probably there's some problem here maybe in wiring or something else that causes this and if I don't fix it - most likely switch will let out the magic smoke again...
Usually blinking extra fast just means you have a bulb out on that side. You may already have checked it but maybe check your turn signal bulbs once more, just in case.

·
2004 B5.5 Variant 1.8T
23,717 Posts
Also, any LEDs without load resistors will cause a fast blink. you have 3 bulbs on each side to check. One in the headlight assembly, one in the fender, one in the tail light assembly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
First thing I did was placing the bulb in the socket - as for all that time that indicators were not working - that bulb was not there - and that changed the speed of flashing to normal - and this is the whole problem of "all indicators not working" - fixed, so not sure if I should continue here but i will. So then I replaced the whole cluster bulb holder - thinking it would help -in the new problem that I'm bringing on now - although it existed before in my car but wasn't as urgent as the indicators(I'm changing the subject now I guess - as now - one of the bulbs is not working, bulb itself is OK, its the main light when you drive - it takes too long now for me to find the correct name for it in English, sorry) . Unfortunately not much have changed - the light is still not working - and for some time when indicators were working on that side - the fog light also lit(now it went to same state - its just that one bulb...
I think i don't have any LEDs in my car - and if that's the case - i can replace it with none LED ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts