Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang, I recently lowered my car and I thinks I need an alignment, is there anything I need to tell the tech other than the obvoius fact that the car is lowered on H&R Sports? I have heard others talking about premature tire wear, I want to avoid that if I can....

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
there are 1BE alignment specs available (AKA sports suspension) so you should be good to go if they have this info.

It is in Bentley so let me know if you need it.

You most definitely will need an alignment after "dropping it".

·
Registered
245 Posts
JDP,
You definately need to align it. I "Dropped" my 96 Ford Taurus last year with Roush Sport springs. When we put it on the rack it was completely out of wack. Got it dialed in and I have normal tire wear and the car tracks perfectly straight.
Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Lowering a car will usually only cause significant changes in camber. It really doesn't do anything to caster and rarely does much to toe (unless the car was designed with horrid amounts of bumpsteer). Given that you cannot change the total camber, I see no reason to assume your car needs an alignment just because you lowered it. Now it is very possible that your car needed an alignment before you lowered it. I think that is almost always the case, because these cars (and most) don't seem to come from the factory with a very accurate alignment. If don't know the status of your car's alignment before you lowered it, you might as well go and have it done. But don't think the need to do this has anything to do with lowering it, because it doesn't.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
jdp1.8T said:
It was lowered at 6700 miles and tracked straight, It now has 7400 miles and pulls slight left..... No I don't hit curbs or small mammals...I think It should be aligned.....
In this case, it should be checked for alignment regardless of whether you had lowered it or not. However, be advised that adjusting toe, which is all that almost any shop will do on your car, will not alter the pull you are experiencing. Caster, and to a less degree, camber are what cause or cure a pull. These things can be changed to resolve a pull on a B5, but to do so requires shifting the subframe and almost no shops are willing or able to deal with this. My guess is that most likely one of your tires had developed a "radial pull" in it and that is causing the pull. You can test this by swapping them from side to side and seeing if that neutralizes or reverses the pull. If it does, then you have a tire issue. For whatever reason, my own experience and many others on this forum is that most B5s pull to the right from Day 1. Mine did this and I did mild caster correction myself with the subframe and it doesn't pull any more.

·
Registered
29,164 Posts
Lowering a Passat causes the toe to go toe-out quite a bit. It also increases caster and negative camber. The extra caster helps keep the car straight,but the alignment will be out and the front tires will wear on the inside edge.

I have had multiple alignments after multiple suspension height changes and have tracked it for the last 2 years. With H+R Sports,my alignment went from .30 degrees toe in to .67 degrees toe out.

Even just the settling of new springs (1/2") will throw the toe from .20 to zero. I make good use of the Firestone lifetime alignment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.