Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. My front tires are wearing WAY too fast on the insides.... as if it had a ton of negative camber. The alignment is within specs on all four corners. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this tire wear? The only thing I could think of is maybe tie-rod ends or ball joints, but when I jack one side up and try turning the tire back and forth, I dont' really feel any play. I'm not an expert in doing that though so maybe it's there and I'm not seeing it. Also, I though that alignment shops check for slop in those components prior to adjusting it so I would think the shop would have told me if they found something like that.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Sucks having to buy new tires when the only part worn on the existing ones is on the very inside!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all. My front tires are wearing WAY too fast on the insides.... as if it had a ton of negative camber. The alignment is within specs on all four corners. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this tire wear? The only thing I could think of is maybe tie-rod ends or ball joints, but when I jack one side up and try turning the tire back and forth, I dont' really feel any play. I'm not an expert in doing that though so maybe it's there and I'm not seeing it. Also, I though that alignment shops check for slop in those components prior to adjusting it so I would think the shop would have told me if they found something like that.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Sucks having to buy new tires when the only part worn on the existing ones is on the very inside!
Never had this problem on my B5 and older VW. On Passat CC front camber from new was -2.2deg which is 1.2deg off the max. correct setting. Don't know- factory gave me wrong parts???
Rear wheels were factory set -2.7deg and chewing tyres like crazy. I suggest setting rear to -1deg -0.8deg it will stop wearing inner edges. Unfortunately you can't do anything with the front camber which makes me think these VWs are shtt. In my case I took a die grinder and slotted top and bottom mounting holes to achieve -0.8deg , make sure McPherson's spring support plate is not hitting the chassis. If you can't achieve a desired setting use a hammer. After all this Factory wheels 235 45 17 offset 41 still chewing inner front edges but less . Decided to change wheel offset to 35mm and the inner tyre wear has been minimised to about 10mm previously 30-40mm.
These VWs have another big problem which is rear tyre stepping. The best fix, to solve this problem is replacing rear shocks, and rotating tyres, unfortunately it will start stepping tyres again after 20-30k miles , so again new shocks.
My one still wearing inner front edges a bit so time to sell and buy bmw.

·
Registered
28,457 Posts
I think after 13 years he probably did sell his car.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,394 Posts
Weird, I never knew “these VWs” had bad tire wear. To generalize a whole manufacturer about certain things shows ignorance about the subject.

Maybe I have been lucky never to have anything but perfect wear edge to edge for the last 130k miles with multiple suspension set ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,796 Posts

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Weird, I never knew “these VWs” had bad tire wear. To generalize a whole manufacturer about certain things shows ignorance about the subject.

Maybe I have been lucky never to have anything but perfect wear edge to edge for the last 130k miles with multiple suspension set ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perfect tire wear here to. Sheer luck.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,394 Posts
To be fair, the new guy is talking about bad tire wear on the CC. Totally different suspension set up. I had one for approximately 50k miles and didn't see any weird tire wear. Stock wheels and suspension, though. Never had an alignment since new when I traded in for my A4 at 75k miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts