Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '99 B5 with 17x7.5 rims and AVS ES100 225/45/17 tires (35 psi). The inside of the tread is worn much more than the rest of the tire. Currently the car is aligned neutral. Is this normal wear for a Passat? Is camber the problem? Should I go (+)?

Please comment.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Aligned neutral ?? Zero toe & zero camber ?? Inner tread wear will be due to either negative camber or positive toe, or both. FWD cars tend to toe in a bit at speed so if you're going for max treadlife, you may want the toe to be slightly +.

·
Registered
28,876 Posts
Replied to this post in the Wheel and Tire forum. You should have that one moved here.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
VWGUY4EVER said:
Aligned neutral ?? Zero toe & zero camber ?? Inner tread wear will be due to either negative camber or positive toe, or both. FWD cars tend to toe in a bit at speed so if you're going for max treadlife, you may want the toe to be slightly +.
can you explain this, it makes no sense to me, unless at higher speeds the front end raises up or down slightly because of wind, but i think the front end would have to lower to get a negative toe, so then my question is, do our cars have that big of an aero package on the front end that the car will squat that much at high speeds

·
Registered
28,876 Posts
Tom,you need to set the toe in slightly. The specs are for .20 degrees toe in. With lowering
springs,the negative camber increases. It may not be excessive,but it will be near the
limits. Camber is not adjustable without the CPP arms,but it can be equalized. With a
little toe-in,the inner tire wear will be less.

I would run between .12-.20 degrees toe in. More than that and the steering will feel
heavy and tramlining will increase. I have messed with mine often,and this feels the best.
A printout of the alignment would help. You can track your camber to see if it is excessive.
The AVS are known for wearing fast,so a longer life tire would help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.