Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
That is excess camber wear, I've seen it multiple times on Passats. You may also have some worn suspension parts after 2 years and the alignment could be out because of that. Note, there are no front camber readings on your printout. Is the car lowered? From the front camber, I would say it should be at least 2" or more below stock. If it's not lowered, you have worn parts in the suspension.
PZ in to save the day!

That is an incredible wear pattern for just camber! I would have thought you needed one of those Japanese to stance cars to see that much wear on just the outer 3/4".

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,323 Posts
That is excess camber wear, I've seen it multiple times on Passats. You may also have some worn suspension parts after 2 years and the alignment could be out because of that. Note, there are no front camber readings on your printout. Is the car lowered? From the front camber, I would say it should be at least 2" or more below stock. If it's not lowered, you have worn parts in the suspension.
The camber on the printout shows -1.2° left and -1.1° right side. It's not easy to see as it blends in. The shocks and springs in the pics look like the OEM originals. Sticker and all. So, it does not look lowered.

For rubbing on anything loose....It would take a lot to grind that much rubber away. A belly pan or wheel well liner will give way to the tire. Metal will win over the tire.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yesterday I swapped the tires and after a short drive I had strong smell of rubber burning and when checking the tire there were signs the inside edge had been thrusting against the pavement. Car is not lowered. I will start working on the suspension starting with the struts and a torn cv booth. Yeah I see not camber readings in the print out, that was the reason I wanted you all check it out to see it there was something out of the ordinary in these readings.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
AFAIK camber is not adjustable unless we use adjustable upper control arms (which are not needed in standard height) but it can be compensated by moving the sub-frame, is it correct?
Does anyone have done this kind of adjustment? any special tool needed? Just wondering.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,323 Posts
How can I see a camber reading, but nobody else does? The yellow bars have a white number in there. -1.2° left side, -1.1° right side.

Shifting the subframe only evens out the camber left to right. If you shift it, the negative camber will decrease on one side and increase on the other side. You may have something permanently bent on that side causing the wear like a bent control arm or worn bushing. the pics looks like they are from the side with the good tire. Take some of the side where the worn tire came from and also the upper control arms and their bushings.

Also, since you could actually smell the tire after you swapped sides, that leads me to believe that it is a recent event that caused the wear. It wouldn't have done that over 2 years of driving. get the alignment checked again.

·
Registered
27,250 Posts
1.2 degrees of camber should not cause that wear. I have slightly more than that (lowered 1.5") and I used to get 30K out of my tires, with plenty of hard cornering. You need at least 2.5 degrees, which I have seen only on lowered Passats. For toe out to create that wear in a short time, it would have to be pretty severe. I expect a bushing is shot allowing the arms to shift and add camber and/or toe out.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,323 Posts
1.2 degrees of camber should not cause that wear. I have slightly more than that (lowered 1.5") and I used to get 30K out of my tires, with plenty of hard cornering. You need at least 2.5 degrees, which I have seen only on lowered Passats. For toe out to create that wear in a short time, it would have to be pretty severe. I expect a bushing is shot allowing the arms to shift and add camber and/or toe out.
I agree, that 1.2 is not enough, but that was the readings 2 years ago. No mention of what the current reading is

Reactions: Hirnbeiss

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I agree that it must be a recent event but I am baffled because the car hasn't been in no accident, not too many or big potholes or bad roads around. Another thing that I noticed is that the wear in the inside edge of the tire in uneven, there is at least one spot that somehow has been spare. I will take a close up of that spot to compare with the rest of the tire so maybe we can pinpoint it to a definite faulty, worn out or bent part.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Here some images of suspension components, looks that the uppers have given up and probably the lower back control arm is compromised also so I think next step would be replacing all control arms both sides (ouch!!) and it looks that the shock absorber leaked some time ago.
Upper front control arms

thumbnail_IMG_0566.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0565.jpg

Lower back control arm

thumbnail_IMG_0571.jpg

Wheel well

thumbnail_IMG_0567.jpg

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
I agree with PZ
The unevenness around the tyre is likely caused by out of balance.
You need to replace the worn control arms.
Then get it aligned, and the wheels balanced.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,323 Posts
Yeah those uppers are toast for sure. Try fcpeuro for a set of Delphi arms if trying to save money. Lifetime warranty on the parts, not labor.

This one is for the later B5.5 2003+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27,250 Posts
I've worn through one liner when I had my belly pan off for 30 miles, no wear on the tire.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Well for certain that fender liner wear won't cause that kind of tire wear.
After looking at those new pictures I'd say you need a front suspension refresh and check alignment afterwards. It is possible to have good readings with worn components.
Again after seeing the new pictures, I'd say the combination of worn bushings and camber and possible toe-in / toe-out is contributing to the excessive inside tire wear.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts