Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a 2002 Passat GLS V6. This is my problem, the steering wheel vibrates when the car is moving. Even as slow as 10 mph the steering wheel will rock left and right. My wife, who drives this car most of the time, says she didn't hit anything hard enough that it would knock the car out of alignment. That would also eliminate a bent rim. Strange thing is, though, it doesn't pull to one side. The car has 35000miles on it and there haven't been any other problems otherwise. I was just hoping to get some suggestions on what could be causing the steering wheel to slowly vibrate, before i go and have it looked at. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Sounds like one of your tires isn't balanced correctly. Take your car to a local tire shop and have all 4 tires checked on the balance machine. This process will eliminate tire separation and out of round issues which could cause the vibration you are experiencing?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Alignment problem will cause the car to pull in one direction not vibrate. Get your tires balanced! See if your tires are worn out unevenly or if you have tread seperation.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Move one front tire to the back then drive it ,.. if it still there move the other to the back.. There has been numerous posts including mine about tire seperations in the last bit. Moving them like that will isolate which it is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. i'll try rotating a front tire to the back this weekend. Didn't think of that. Thanks again.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
stevendough said:
Thanks for the help. i'll try rotating a front tire to the back this weekend. Didn't think of that. Thanks again.
Just do one side at a time then drive it in conditions that would have cause the wobble.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts