Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took my b5 to get aligned today, they told me that the camber and caster were not adjustable... is this correct ? i have the oem suspension. thanks!

-patrick

·
Registered
238 Posts
My dealer wrote the same for camber yesterday when I had them do mine. I don't remember anything else, the prinout was just pictures of the wheels with measurements of all the angles. It looked pretty cool to see the before and after measurements even the ones they say are non adjustable. I think the only thing they changed on mine was a little toe adjustment.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
This is one of the reasons I installed Custom Performance Products Upper Control Arms. Adjusting the camber/caster is a huge issue on lowered Passats and Audi', especially if you are having tire wear issues.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The Swami said:
This is one of the reasons I installed Custom Performance Products Upper Control Arms. Adjusting the camber/caster is a huge issue on lowered Passats and Audi', especially if you are having tire wear issues.
I am having them installed today!

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
gtigolfpassat said:
Sweet, here's a tip that I got from my tuner. Make sure you have the stainless-steel one's! Every 2nd oilchange you should put the car up on the rack and clean the bearings with Ethyl Alcohol then lube them up with Dry Graphite. :D

Enjoy.... :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
The Swami said:
gtigolfpassat said:
Sweet, here's a tip that I got from my tuner. Make sure you have the stainless-steel one's! Every 2nd oilchange you should put the car up on the rack and clean the bearings with Ethyl Alcohol then lube them up with Dry Graphite. :D

Enjoy.... :D
thanks for the heads up. I will be sure to do that.

·
Registered
104 Posts
atomicalex said:
More questions: Will the CPP front arms allow for positive camber adjustments? I need to get closer to spec as I am too negative.
I believe they are designed to fix this problem. Not sure if they work if your alignment comes back with positive camber but I know they fix up to 3 degrees of negative camber.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
atomicalex said:
More questions: Will the CPP front arms allow for positive camber adjustments? I need to get closer to spec as I am too negative.
Here's some information from Custom Performance Products about the Upper Control Arm installation.. I hope this helps.

Notes for Caster:

If your car has 4.5? springs i.e. H&R streets or ultra, Neuspeed, Eibach. You will only be able to dial in + 4.5 degrees caster. Any more than this and the control arm in the rear will rub on the spring.

If your car has 2.5? springs i.e. Eibach, Hyperco. You will be able to dial in + 8 degrees caster.

Notes for Camber:
This is pretty much based on personnel preference.
Mild - -.75 to -1 degrees (tires wear is minimal, although cornering speeds are reduced)
Moderate - -1 to -1.75 degrees (tire wear is increased but corner speeds are greater with excellent stability)
Aggressive - -1.76 to -3.0 degrees (tire wear is severe not recommended for street use. Autocross or road racing applications only)

Notes for Toe In or Toe Out:
Mild - -1/16 total toe in make the car to track straight down the road with little steering input.
Moderate ? 0 total toe the car will take steering input to make it go straight down the road.
Aggressive - +1/16 total toe out will make the car have very light steering input. Autocross or road racing applications only.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts