Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I getting my Eibach Pro-system put on and it is only a little over an inch drop. I know I should wait a bit to get the alignment but is it required? Who has not done an alignement with no ill effects?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Unless the upper links are swapped out with adjustable ones or offset bushings, they'll only be able to adjust your front toe setting. The additional negative camber can only be corrected with adustable upper links or replacing the upper link inner bushings with offset ones.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
i haven't had an alignment because it will cost $100 to look at it and more to do it. The car tracks fine and there is no uneven tire wear, every shop i have talked to has said, if there are no problems dont do anything about it

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Jeffsu350, who told you that? PM me!! As long as your alignment shop has a newer Hunter Rack with the latest Vehicle CD, your lowered car can be lined up using the VW 1BE setting. (It's the closest setup)

I also had problems finding shops to perform alignments on my first 4 Motion Passat after I lowered it and I decided not to worry about it. Then I started racing the car and I noticed the amount of steering input that was required and I was wearing out the inside of my tires on tracks with hard laterals. This is when I first joined ClubB5 and got recommendations and information on lowered Passats and Audi's and alignment issues.

I had an alignment done when I install H&R Sport Springs and when I upgraded them to KW Variant 3's on the W8. I will state that the 1BE setting wasn't perfect, but it sufficed until I was able to install upgraded Upper Control Arms and Rear Toe Link from Custom Performance Parts. Now my tuner was able to set my caster/camber/toe settings to my liking.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I've had both the Eibach Pro-System and Neuspeed Sport Springs/Dampers and didn't get my car aligned after either install - and the car tracks perfectly and has even tire wear.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had the H&R OE Sports put on and the shop that did it said that I did not need an alignment.

I went ahead and had it aligned and the guy said it was hardly out of adjustment.

About 4 to 5 months ago...I had the same shop replace my H&R OE's with Eibach Pro Kit and again they said that it did not need an alignment. This time I took their word and didn't since last time it didn't change much...

Well...yesterday I was getting my brakes done at a different shop and they said...DAMN...Have you looked at the inside of your front tires lately!?!? I looked and they were worn badly and were starting to seperate!!! :thumbdow:

Went in to the tire shop today...the guy said that I was lucky I came in today...because the tires were both ready to blow or come apart at any time!!! :nervous:

Therefore... I took the advice of my shop and got burnt!!! Just replaced both fronts to the tune of $ 300.00 when the other tires still had more than 50% left!!!

Take my advice and learn from my mistake...Get the car aligned and keep an eye on it!!!

Good Luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
254 Posts
VaRiX said:
Unless the upper links are swapped out with adjustable ones or offset bushings, they'll only be able to adjust your front toe setting. The additional negative camber can only be corrected with adustable upper links or replacing the upper link inner bushings with offset ones.
Have you guys not read what I posted?

If you don't do something to adjust the length of the upper A arms, you will have too much negative camber if you lower your Passat. It's a fact. Since the stock upper arms aren't adjustable, NO ALIGNMENT WILL HELP CAMBER. The lower you go, the more negative camber you will have.

·
Registered
26,001 Posts
VaRiX said:
VaRiX said:
Have you guys not read what I posted?

If you don't do something to adjust the length of the upper A arms, you will have too much negative camber if you lower your Passat. It's a fact. Since the stock upper arms aren't adjustable, NO ALIGNMENT WILL HELP CAMBER. The lower you go, the more negative camber you will have.
The other problem is that toe-out increases with lowering. That adds to the inner tire wear.
Caster also increases,that makes the car track straight,giving the illusion that the alignment is good.

·
Registered
254 Posts
So maybe just adjusting the toe back to neutral will reduce the speed of the abnormal tire wear? Hmm...

·
Registered
26,001 Posts
It would help greatly,but not solve the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
PZ
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing